General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Differential or axle noise/clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Default Differential or axle noise/clunk?

Hey all - new member from the US here!
Just got a nice 1992 Toyota Camry 1.5l 5spd, 113,xxx miles
I get a clunk sometimes when shifting gears, after the shift, when changing power, or if I let off the gas when coasting in 4th or 3rd - but not always
I had it up in the air today - checked the usual suspects - suspension, struts, bushings etc.
I noticed 2 new split outer CV boots - so I started checking the axles. Outers are OK still, and no play in-out

With the car in 1st gear, if I turn one wheel, there isn't any slop per se, although about 3-4 degrees in to the turn, kind of like when the gear engage totally [the other wheel is already moving slightly] there is a clunk from the differential area. No too much of a clunk, but it sure sounds like the sound I am hearing
If I change the direction the wheels are spinning, there is a clunk.
Not much of one, but it's there EVERY time.

With the car in neutral, if I spin each wheel, I hear the tiniest bit of a sound in the differential area

With the car in 1st, and a friend holding a wheel to keep things from turning - if I try and turn the inner CV, there is about 1mm or less of play in the driver side
The passenger inner CV, however, has a good 5-6mm of play, and makes a clunk type sound.

so my question is: Is this likely to be something like a worn pin or ring gears or something in the differential, or just the inner on the CV joint?

Thanks for any assistance!

-Mark

Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Are these new split boots (by design) or boots that are damaged and split?

Check for rotational play in the CV's.

Make left and right hand sharp turns at low speed and listen for clicking/popping, etc noises from the axles.

If changing direction of wheel rotation, the brake pads may be shifting direction in their holder and thus making a noise.

The inner CV's are designed to have axle movement to allow for suspension travel. They seldom fail.

It is possible for a suspension part to wear out making a clunk. Sway bar bushings, strut tower mount, end link, etc. And for noises to occur from the rear of the car.

Last edited by toyomoho; 08-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.