General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

disconnected battery and reconnected and now the car is stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Default disconnected battery and reconnected and now the car is stalling

i have a 2003 camry LE. as the title says the car stalls when stopping and idling is low. this is after i dc'd my battery... i checked and rechecked the connections and theyre ok. still stalls. any help is appreciated. thanks

Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

The problem may fix itself in short order. The issue is common after the battery is disconnected.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:01 PM

^^^ agree. suggest going on a 50-100 mile drive w/o many stoplights.
If have problem afterwards, then worry about it.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 AM

does it have to be 50-100 miles straight/non-stop? can it be shorter distances totalling 100? i drive around the block and stall several times... =/

Old 05-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by camryarch
does it have to be 50-100 miles straight/non-stop?
can it be shorter distances totalling 100?
i drive around the block and stall several times... =/
well, if you do it this way don't complain to us.

So pick out a pie shop that's 45 minutes away, have pie-a-la-mode and return ==> all done.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

With all electrical items off, start the engine cold and let it idle best you can until warmed up. When the engine is warm, running and parked, the radiator cooling fans will start to cycle on and off.

Turn on the AC and determine if the idle now adjusts to the AC compressor cycling on and off.

The strange engine idle operation is typically after the battery has been disconnected. The computer needs to "relearn." There is most likely nothing wrong with the car so don't try to fix anything at this time.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
With all electrical items off, start the engine cold and let it idle best you can until warmed up. When the engine is warm, running and parked, the radiator cooling fans will start to cycle on and off.

Turn on the AC and determine if the idle now adjusts to the AC compressor cycling on and off.

The strange engine idle operation is typically after the battery has been disconnected. The computer needs to "relearn." There is most likely nothing wrong with the car so don't try to fix anything at this time.
i did EXACTLY as you said... worked like a charm! my guess is the idle had adjusted. i drove it around and it's not stalling anymore. Man, you really know your stuff!... thank you very much

Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to help.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Hi, I experienced this exact same problem when I disconnected my battery to replace my starter, but have tried all this techniques suggested to relearn the idle but my car is still doing the same thing. I have had several people suggest that it maybe the alternator and it is only charging at about 13.4v, but it just doesn't seem right to me as it acts normal all other times except for when it is at an idle. Any other suggestions as to what I should try/check?

Update: the low charge was due to the alternator belt being loose, it has been tightened but the stalling problem still persists.

Last edited by dw03camry; 07-05-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

What year of car?

If the engine ran OK before disconnecting the battery would suggest continuing to wait on the idle returning to normal rather then start fixing problems which may be non-existent.

Quick Reply: disconnected battery and reconnected and now the car is stalling