General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Default Door won't open

The drivers side door on my 93 won't open. I first noticed earlier in the day that the key seemed hard to turn to unlock. Then next time I went to unlock it it would only turn about half way and wouldn't unlock. So went to the passenger side to get through tried to unlock it on the thumb switch, still couldn't get it to unlock or open. I've searched and searched have come to the conclusion that the spring broke, even found one end of the broken spring inside the door frame. I've already destroyed the door panel trying to access everything. So I have access inside the door. My problem is I cannot no matter what I do get the door to open. The area is rather small and I can't fit my head in very well either to see where the spring goes or where the lever/latch is that I need to pull to get the door open. I have probably everything I need, but I don't know what to look for to release it. Can someone help me with explaining what to grab or push to open the door? Pics would be good, but really anything that'll help me at least get the door open. Idc about being able to lock it really right away I just want to be able to open and close the door. It's difficult to climb my fat self over the passenger seat to get in and out.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

A broken spring is a common issue.

Read the post by jdmccright at the link below:

HELP! Major Problem '95 Camry Door Stuck-won't open! - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

The 92-96 Camry has the same locking mechanism.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:15 PM

I've actually read through that thread and it didn't help me out alot, I can barely see any of the lock mechanism at all and my hands don't really fit back there, that's why I was hoping someone could tell me exactly what I need to be looking for

Old 05-12-2016, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by sandj
I've actually read through that thread and it didn't help me out alot, I can barely see any of the lock mechanism at all and my hands don't really fit back there, that's why I was hoping someone could tell me exactly what I need to be looking for
l

Actually went through and read it again and I wasn't pushing the unlock while pushing on the spring holder. I got it open. Thank you

Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

No sense reposting what others have already said in depth, that's why the link.

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with your success.