General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Question - Radiator Hose temps

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Default Engine Cooling Question - Radiator Hose temps

All: Recently replaced my thermostat with a toyota genuine part for my 2000 Camry (4 cyl and california emissions).

After I did this I noticed the temperature between the two radiator hoses to be considerably different....the lower hose (goes into thermostat end) gets warm but not hot like the upper hose coming off of the top of the radiator. I notice the car temp runs consistently in 192-198F range. The fans do turn on briefly once temp rises up well into the 190s.

I ended up taking out the new thermo to 1) ensure I put it in in the right direction and 2) to ensure it was opening correctly. On #1 it was correctly put in with the pointy end sticking forward. On 2, I placed in a pot of warm water and heated it up using a thermometer to monitor water temp. Sure enough the 82C thermo clearly opened up around 180F. So, I reinstalled and filled with fluid and pumped the hoses by hand to clear air and added until the system appeared to be full.

So, is the hose temperatures (via hand) variance an issue...(i.s., should the hoses be about the same temps? If so, it would seem to me that more fluid is getting through the top hose than is moving through thru the thermostat hose. Thoughts?