General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine has died several times when the AC is on.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Default Engine has died several times when the AC is on.

At the end of last winter I had a lot of problems keeping my 95 Camry running. I did as much as I could without success and then took it to the Toyota dealer. After spending about $900.00 and having various parts replaced it was starting and running fine. The only problem was it wouldn't start on cold mornings when in the 20's or teens. Right about the time this was happening winter was ending. Once temps stayed above freezing the car would always start and run fine. Fast forward to a week or so ago. Once I started using the AC I experienced having the engine die several times. I believe two times it died right after I started it and the AC was already on. I think I remember one other time it died as I was pulling up to a stop light. It seems as thought the idle is to low when the car is in gear and the AC is on. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

V6 or 4-cylinder?

What parts did the dealer replace?

Idle is controlled by the IAC valve.

The AC system is linked to the engine computer to increase idle when AC compressor is operating.

Try cleaning the IAC valve, the internet has posts on this.

There is a coolant sensor on the engine that signals the computer of coolant temp to adjust idle, coolant hot or cold. If the sensor is bad the computer may not provide the correct idle adjustment.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:45 PM

It has the 4 cylinder engine with 133,000 miles.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:43 PM

Update: I took my car into the dealer and they turned up the idle. The tech that has done all the work on my car really feels like the injectors are the problem. That would be very expensive to have them replaced. At this point I think I will just run a can of Sea-foam about every other tank.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:17 PM

worth a try clean of IAC valve. and injector clean in the tank etc

when was the fuel filter changed last

even a professional clean for four injectors is expensive ?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 AM

The fuel filter was changed in January a long with plugs, distributor, air idle control valve and whatever else the dealer thought might be the problem. They also used an injector cleaner but I'm still going to use Sea-foam. At the price of replacing injectors I would be putting to much money in a 21 year old car. It is still a nice car so I really don't want to get rid of it at this point.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

What parts did the dealer replace?

Does the engine ever run normally? If so injectors may not be the problem.

Does the distributor cap have 4 or 5 wires?

Old 07-01-2016, 06:31 AM

This is an update with my on going problem, my car only dies occasionally when the air is on. What I have noticed is there is a good chance it will die if the air is already on when I start the car and put it in gear. It also seems to die occasionally when I stop and the air is on full blast. I believe I am hearing compressor noise and it is causing a drag on the engine. Someone mentioned the possibility of a bearing going bad in the compressor. Other than the problem I have mentioned the car runs perfect and the air blows ice cold.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Does the compressor make excessive noise when operating?

The IAC valve should adjust the idle up to compensate for the increased load of the AC compressor.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:45 PM

I believe the compressor is making a little more noise than it should however the air blows ice cold. The IAC valve was replaced in January along with numerous other things. The Toyota dealer has basically said they have done everything they can with the exception of replacing the injectors. I really don't think injectors are the problem and at this point I'm not willing to throw a bunch more money out for something that is not a sure thing. I'm considering contacting Toyota to see if they have a district person I can talk to. This is a one owner car that has been very well taken care of otherwise I would get rid of it. My now deceased father bought it new in 1995.

Quick Reply: Engine has died several times when the AC is on.