General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A Few ****ling Little Issues

Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Default A Few ****ling Little Issues

Hey there - new here!

I have a USA 2007 Camry CE (2.4L 4) with about 50k on the clock.

I have a few ****ly little issues that I’d like to get solved. I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction!

I am reasonably handy with the tools...if I have a guide to follow.

1. The car sometimes idles quite rough and slow. Around 500-600 rpm. This makes the car vibrate badly. Often when cold.

2. Sometimes when accelerating or braking I will hear liquid sloshing around. It sounds like a drain hole somewhere may be blocked. I have checked and no carpets in the car or trunk are wet.

3. When the car is locked/unlocked with the remote, it goes through periods of not turning on the lights/beeping the horn and then returns to normal. I wonder if there is a loose connection? On a related note, is it possible to program the car to unlock all the doors on the first hit of the button?

4. There is a regular rattle (exacerbated by 1. Above!!) that comes from the closable flap in the center console under the radio and heat/cool controls. Is this a known spot and is there a known way to stop this?

Thanks for your help I’m advance!!

Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Sorry - that’s not swearing in the title/text.

I wrote N I G G L I N G. No idea why it was starred out?

Old 06-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF!

1. Try cleaning the throttle body using a throttle body cleaner (not carburetor cleaner!). The internet has video's on doing this. Is the coolant system needing topping off via the coolant reservoir?

2. Sloshing noise under the mid section of dash board? The AC evap drain line may be plugged. It sticks out underneath the car. Find something to ream the line out to attempt to unplug it.

3. Have you checked the remote battery? The owner's manual may have something on changing the lock sequence, if possible.

4. The car is known for rattles in several locations. If possible check if a bumper on the flap is missing or allows a space between the flap and chassis for movement/rattle.

The site must use a software censor monitor. The software may have incorrectly determined the word used was improper. This happens for words which are harmless.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 AM

Thanks for that really helpful post.

1. I have ordered some throttle body cleaner (and some MAF cleaner as I understand this can cause issues too). When these arrive, I'll get this done.

2. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll attempt to locate the AC drain (assuming a rubber hose) and see if it needs cleaning out.

3. Nothing in the owners manual. I don't think it's battery related but will change it anyway (you just know who's fault it'll be if my wife gets stranded somewhere!)

4. It doesn't look like a bumper is missing. Closing the flap stops the rattle - not too handy when it's needed open (phone cables come out of there rather than the side to stop the dog getting at them!)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

3) It is possible for door lock computer to start to fail causing issues.

4) Maybe there is no OEM installed bumper. Can you add one?

Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 PM

1. My MAF/TB Cleaners arrived today. I haven't had time to do the TB but have done the MAF. Will probably get around to the TB at the weekend.

2. The A/C drain is dripping pretty good (judging by the pool of water on the garage floor). It was also dripping as I was under there. I stuck something in the hole and the little tube moved in/out of the sump a bit. It seems to be working as expected. Will listen out again for this. Are there any other drain hole locations (no sunroof) on the car?

3. That sounds horribly expensive!

4. I will need to find some time getting this thing to vibrate and then working out how to stop it!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

2. No. Check for air in the heater core/hoses.

3. Buy used on Ebay.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 AM

2. Interestingly, when I started the car up this morning I heard some running water noise. Weird. Seemed like it came from the front/middle of the car. A foot or two in front of the gear selector.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

2. The heater core is located in this area. Could be air in the coolant system.

Have you been needing to add coolant to the radiator overflow reservoir?

Old 06-14-2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
2. The heater core is located in this area. Could be air in the coolant system.

Have you been needing to add coolant to the radiator overflow reservoir?
Good idea. No, I haven't been adding coolant to the reservoir (and living in Southern Florida, you would have thought the car wouldn't have lasted this long if it was too low!). I will check - maybe the system needs bleeding (no idea how to do that!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Few ****ling Little Issues