General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 PM
dfs
Default Fuel pump

I have a 1998 Camry. The car isn't getting any fuel. I change the fuel pump and still nothing. I have checked the fuses, but they seem to be okay. I had a mechanic come to do a pressure test while I was at work, and he pulled the fuel pump, so I assumed it was bad. I have change it out, but when you try to turn over the car, there is no sound of the fuel pump trying to kick in. Any ideas?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fuel pump

The pump will not run unless the engine is cranking or running.

The pump is controlled by the Circuit Openning Relay behind the glove box.

What engine does the car have V6 or 4 cylinder?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
dfs

The engine is the 4 cylinder, 2.2L. My son had to jump start the car at college, and I am wondering if the security system could have shut down the fuel system somehow. I've read something about an engine immobiliser system in the owner's manual, but cannot locate what or where this is. I've heard that the relay is a possibility, but I don't know where it is located. Any help is appreciated. This is a Kentucky made car, not a Japan manufactured car. That has mattered when purchasing parts sometimes.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

If the car has an immobilser and the battery goes dead or is disconnected it can shut off the spark ign system. The engine will crank but not start. This system is installed by the Toyota dealer and called VIP systems.

If you have this system try locking the cars and opening the drivers door with the key. If you have the type of key with the chip inside try starting it with this key, try both gray and black key if you have them. One is Valet, the other Master.

If you have some kind of aftermarket alarm try the following:

Look under the dash for a button or switch. If there is one try the following:

Turn ign key on to the position before engine crank. Within 5 seconds press and hold in the override button until the LED (the blinking light) in your dash area goes solid and the siren chirps once.

If there is a toggle switch instead of button repeat the process but turn the switch in opposite direction then turn ignition switch off.