General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas smell in car/Black soot from air vents

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Default gas smell in car/Black soot from air vents

I didn't know which forum this should go under since I'm a new member. Here's the problem, which at least 3 mechanics have been unable to solve. For over a year, there has been a terrible raw gas smell inside our 1990 Toyota Camry. The mechanics checked the gas tank for leaks, hoses, etc. to no avail. Just yesterday, once mechanic cleaned out debris from the air vents, and the gas smell seemed to have lessened but is not gone entirely.

However, I also noticed that there is black soot or dirt coming out of the front interior air vents. I wiped the "stuff" off last night, and low-and-behold - it was back again this morning. Don't know if these two issues are related.

Any ideas?????? Help!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Default RE: gas smell in car/Black soot from air vents

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer here unless someone withyour exact problem is able to offer advice. If you're stillsmelling "raw gas", despite what 3 mechanics could not find, then you still have a gas leak. Have you checked you're gas mileage? I'm doubtful the soot is being produced by gas dripping on a hot exhaust though as it evaporates fairly cleanly. Are you sure you're not smelling oil dripping on a hot exhaust? Burning oilwill smoke andif it's close to the firewall and the outside air intakethe smoke will be sucked in and deposited inside the car. Is your engine clean or does it have oil leaks?I don't know what type of mechanics you took the car to but I think ittime you find another. Maybe a Toyota dealership can provide someone who will solve this.