General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Getting ripped off? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Default Getting ripped off? HELP!

Trying to help a younger family member. The car is a 97 Camry that had transmission problems. Normally I stay away from dealers so when asked I suggested a local shop might be a better choice. Next thing I know these guys sold him a "used" transmission with a 6 month warranty. Of course it didn't end there - new water pump, battery and then of course the timing chain, another charge to "reset the circuits" and a smog test that is now worthless. More than $3,000k later and a 20 minutes drive down the road the check engine light came on. They continued to drive it home and we took it to a local mechanic that found the code: P0770 Shift Solenoid E Malfunction.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Default RE: Getting ripped off? HELP!

Drove it back to the shop - 3 hours away a week later. This time I went along for the ride after checking this # out online. I asked if they had tested the transmission before installing it (the part is covered but labor is not!) I also asked if the shift solenoid could be replaced under the warranty. The Service manager told us it was not serviceable (internal) and they would have to check the error code for themselves. We spent the night at Mom's and the next day they called - the transmission they put in was "bad" and it would have to be replaced ($1,000 labor!) When we got to the shop and I started complaining - they said this was only the 4th time in over 12 years they ever had this happen. I continued to press them and low and behold they did some more "research" and found the part was serviceable after all and it would be ~ 200.00 in labor to change it out. This seemed much better option but I also asked what was the guarantee - none of course - aren't capable enough to stand behind there work - Did they screw the other 4 people too? Test the new part before installing it but said it couldn't be tested farther than ohms until it was installed

Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Man posting here is a real pain - not working very well!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:10 AM

can't post jack!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:34 AM

Now they are suggesting another "used" transmission. I think this is TOTAL B.S. and I am ready to go back again and scream at them. I think they are totally taking advantage of us and learning at our expense even though they claim to be "experts" at Toyotas and Hondas.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 AM

Is it a dealerwho replaced the transmission or the local shop? Shift solenoid should not be $200 in labor I'm thinking. Solenoids are in the trans oil pan. Drain pan, remove pan, unscrew solenoid, replace solenoid, replace pan, top up trans oil. You might havecase for small claimscourt, butit may depend on the warranty your family member signed. You could replace the solenoid yourself if you know which one. There arethree, lock-up, shift1 and shift 2. Did they tell you which one? they're not hard to test on the vehicle either.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, posting is difficult. Suggest short posts.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

This is shift solenoid E or SL (depending on how Toyota calls it out).

Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Controls torque converter lock up. Can access by dropping the pan.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Solenoid might be bad, bad wiring or the valve just needs cleaning.

Quick Reply: Getting ripped off? HELP!