General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

light for auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Default light for auto transmission

Hi All

My landlord has a Camry Altise auto. The light to show what gear his auto is in has blown. Is there any easy way to access this light bulb, without pulling his whole console apart? Sorry could not see any model indent letters but its transmission code is U241E and the Camry's build date is 12/03

Thanks for any feedback and help

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

The light on the dash or the light on the shifter panel.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 AM

Sorry mate, I meant the shifter light in the console, pics attached.

Attached Thumbnails light for auto transmission-img_0426.jpg   light for auto transmission-img_0427.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Not the complete console.

The plastic console cover piece having the cup holder and surrounding the E-brake and shifter lever cover comes out as one piece. The shift lever cover with gear shift indicator letters is separate part and is bolted to the car. This part remains in place once when console cover around it is removed.

The console cover is held in by 8 plastic clips and 2 plastic claws that are molded into the cover around the circumference. The clips run along both sides. On each side, one at the front and back corners and two equal distance in between these.

The claws are at front and back edges of the panel in the center.

To unlatch the clips and claws insert something thin between the edge of the cover and plastic frame around it at the location of a claw or clip. Suggest a narrow/thin putty knife cover with one layer of electrical tape applied to protect the finish. Slide the knife between the cover and frame the gently pull up on the cover. Work around the cover, to disengage more clips and allow the cover to release further.

There are also specialized plastic removal tools available, perhaps an auto parts store would have them.

One the cover is off find the bulb and replace.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Hi Joey;

Thanks for your feedback, your instructions were spot on. The console top came off in about 5 seconds. What I found when I removed the cover is the shifter seems to be in a sealed case. There are what look like clips on the outside of it but I am not sure what to apply pressure too. Pics attached.

Thanks again for any feedback

Attached Thumbnails light for auto transmission-img_0429.jpg   light for auto transmission-img_0430.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Look under the side of the case having the letters for wiring plus a bulb socket that installs into the case from outside.