General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My sad story........

Old 02-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Yep, these old Camry's are easy to work on, in fact this week I replaced the timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, and passenger side outer cv boot.

Looks like she is ready to hand over to the wife. The Camry isn't as fast, or sexy as the Nissan SER, but Hell, we can drive it without fear that something will go wrong with the electrical.

Speaking of the Altima, I swapped out yet another ECM today, but this time I got not only the ECM, but the key switch, key, and immobilizer that went with ecm so hopefully I shouldn't have to go to the dang dealer for a reprogramming of the ecm.

Man, those anti tamper proof nuts on the ignition switch sucked to get out.

Still haven't gotten up the courage to actually try to start the engine, as I'm sore from all of the work this week, but maybe I will give it a go tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

It really sucks that I replaced every single thing on the dang Altima, except for the AC compressor, alt, ecm, bcm, tcm, key switch, and rear lower control arms. Everything else is new, and in some cases improved [ie engine, Koni yellow struts/shocks, trans cooler, new paint]

Old 02-01-2018, 11:51 PM

Wow. Good job. I am the same way. put it all back, recover, treat yourself, then tackle the start.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:05 PM

Well, I did get the Nissan to fire this weekend.

I tried several different things, and was just about to get the ax, and start chopping the d@mned car into pieces [don't laugh I've seen it done before on a car where the guy had built the engine three times for running hot, and the third time it ran hot, he chopped it up].

For some reason I decided to get starting fluid, and open the throttle body, and squirt some down the intake. Well, the engine fired, and ran briefly.

Checked out the throttle body, and its one of the parts I didn't replace when I "restored" the POS, and its dead Jim.

I also checked fuel, and that is all fine, and checked to see if the injectors were getting voltage, and yep batt volts with the key on.

However, something is obviously keeping the injectors from opening. I don't know if the bad throttle body is doing this, or what. I bought a new battery as the old battery wouldn't hold a charge, but still no luck with the tb.

So I ordered a new tb, and brake switch [both failed the voltage test when I ran an ecm pin/wire diagnostics]

Old 02-06-2018, 11:15 PM

The chopping up part I believe. I wish you luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Long story short it ended up being a bad dlc connector, bad tb connector, and mold in the ABS connector.

You have to take apart the connectors, and bend the female tangs to where they have tension.

Next I took it to Nissan to get the used ecm programmed to the keys.

Still no start so I did a compression check, and yep, timing had jumped, and warped the valves.

Got the heads back today from having the lash set [new valve stems cut down], so hopefully I can get the damned thing running, and sell it.