General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No electrical power!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Default No electrical power!

I have a 1995 Camry that was having problems stalling, I took it for a spin and it stalled on at the top of hill. I could only start it for a few seconds before it would bog out and stall. I left the car for a few hours then came back and it started up fine and I was able to drive it home no problem. Yesterday I started it up and within about 20 feet it lost power and stalled, unable to start again. I pulled out a multimeter to check the battery and the voltage was fine but when I pulled the prongs from the battery terminals the car immediately died... So I tested the battery again, put the prongs on the terminals started the car and immediately I heard a pop and lost all power to the car. disconnected the battery, reconnected, nothing. turn the key to ON position and nothing... Checked fuses and none seem to be burned out. Please help!!!! Thanks!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

You checked all fuses including fusible links?
The positive battery cable for the cars electrical system (not the one going to the starter solenoid) has a built-in fusible link.

Also check the following:
Battery cable end terminals connections to the battery cables.
Corrosion between battery terminal lugs and battery terminals.
Negative battery cable connection to chassis.

Could be placing the prongs on the terminals causes them to make a better connection with the battery lugs.