General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Leak 2007 Camry~ VVT Line Ruptured

Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Default Oil Leak 2007 Camry~ VVT Line Ruptured

Hi Folks,

New member here from Southeast, Texas. I apologize if this is not the right place to post:

My 2007 (6cyl/45,000mi) Camry sprung a major oil leak yesterday. Toyota dealer says it's the VVT Line. I'm more than a little concerned that this replacement part is on back-order for at least2-weeks. Service Tech also said they have 3 more in the shop waiting on this part. Now I'm curiousthis maybe a potential recall situation. Sounds like they may have a good demand for this part :~(

...anybody else know of this problem or another way to fix (even if temporarily)to get me back on the road? 2 weeks ofa rental carwill kill me!

Thanks and I really appreciate any help.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil Leak 2007 Camry~ VVT Line Ruptured

The oil line appears to have a problem as others are also waiting for parts.

Recalls are typically only for safety issues, doubt if Toyota would issue one on this type of problem.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Default 2007 camry major oil leak SCARY, NO WARNING LIGHT

Prag,

Have the same problem!! Told that I would wait up to a month. All is on back order.... Had to drive 6 miles and in that 6 miles, I dumped in 7 qts, at 3.00 a qt. Then sat 2 1/2 hours waiting for a tow truck, then an hour drive to the dealer. At least all is under warranty. Rental is a problem. They only cover up to 5 days, after that it is our problem and bill. Plus, you have to pay insurance on your rental. By the way, this is under an extended warranty. Missed the factory warranty by 1620 miles. Have 61620 miles.
Dealer did call, but after I left the dealership. So will find out the bad news tomorrow. I will be back to post here again. I hope you continue posting with your situation.

One more thing!! There is a maintainance warning light that works, but come to find out, there is NO WARNING LIGHT to show that your oil has just emptied out on the pavement, and no longer shows on the dip stick. What happen to the common sense IDIOT LIGHT they use to have on the older cars years ago. What if you would burn out your engine? Would they say you should have noticed a leak? I had NO WARNING!!
Marv

Last edited by marv; 02-09-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

The good news is it appears your dealer will do the repairs under warranty.

Other owners with this same problem are being told it is not covered under warranty and they need to pay for the repairs themselves. Cost can be $700

This is for cars still under the original powertrain warranty and those now on the extended warranty.

Yes, please post back with the details. Curious as to why this dealer is so cooperative.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Smile VVT line Covered under Extended warranty

The dealer I bought from and go to covered my repair under the extended warranty!! Including 5 day guarantied rental. I questioned that, since I was told it was on back order for a month, and the guy I was dealing with, got that extended until I got my car back. Which by luck was only 7 days, and not a month of waiting. He said the part came in this AM, and he called me at 11:30 AM, to tell me I could pick it up. I am a HAPPY CAMPER! I should say my wife is a HAPPY CAMPER.
I can't understand why others are being turned away. Could it be the type of extended warranty they have? I know we had 3-4 choices, don't really remember, but did have choices. We were even told an extended was not necessary, since the car was so good. I sat next to a large number of people over a period of time, at oil changes and many had 200 - 350, 000 miles with no problems. I am glad I am one that always gets the extended warranties.
I was told that everything was paid, but would have to wait to have the papers mailed to me, as they had to add the rental company's bill on, before filing with Toyota.
I will come back and let you know the cost.
Good Luck,
Marv

Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Hello,
I had a major oil leak last night after driving all day! I noticed my engine stall a bit. It felt as if i was in d1 or d2. Then the check oil light came on. I was like OH SHIZZLE! and opened the hook and dip stick is dry! Waited 2 hours for tow truck. This morning they told me they have to order VVT line and time cover or something and gave me a rental. I wonder how long i need to wait now.

I am dealing with Toyota Universe in Little Falls, NJ
Driving a 07 se v6 with 30500 miles

Also, i could not turn car on. It just clicked as if battery was dead. i dont know why. Once at dealer they put in some oil, and it stared right up!!! Does the car have a sensor like " I DONT HAVE OIL" I CANT START" safety feature so that we dont blow up our engines?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 AM

Martin,
I assume you are still under the Factory Warranty!!
I was told that there was NO warning light (Idiot Light) for the oil on my 07 Camry, no warning ever did come on, even when no oil was on the dip stick. Only the warning I have ever seen is when it is time to change the oil, which operates on miliage, not on how much oil is in the oil pan. My extended warranty only covered 5 DAYS of rental. I told them that I could not afford rental cost beyond that, and I was told I could wait a month for the part. My dealer talked to some one in Toyota, and they agreed to cover rental until I got the car back. They got the part and I had the car back on the 7th day. I would check and see how many days your Rental is paid. You do not want more charges added to your bill, that YOU have to pay. My bill came to a little over 700, (labor and parts cost a little over 200, the remaining 500 covered 300 in towing and 200 in rental).
Good Luck and I hope you do not have to wait to long!
Marv

Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

The V6 engine has an issue with leaking VVTi lines and many owners are in the same situation. Many times the leak occurs just after the normal warranty expires leaving the owner to pay repair bills.

A few owners who have extended warranties have been told the problem is not a drive train issue and not covered under warranty.

5 days seems to be the limit on rental cars, assuming the dealer will authorize one at all.

The engine does not have any safely features to turn the engine off if it runs out of oil or overheats.

Running out of oil due to a major oil leak is extremely uncommon. The typically cause of engine damage due to low oil is failure to check the oil level during normal usage.

If you were still under the original warranty press the dealer to cover all costs. This problem is not wide spread but is popping up as engines are gaining in mileage. The issue is an obvious defect that should have never happened.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 AM

I have seen and performed repairs on this several times. From my observations, the VVTI line will only continue to leak to a certain point- never draining the engine completely of oil. One of the cars i worked on was in for regular maintenance. It wasn't actively leaking when i drove it in- though there was evidence of prior leakage from underneath. After i completed the service and refilled the engine with oil- the VVTi hose started to pour oil out of it in a hurry.

JJ

Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info. Thus only so much oil will leak out and not completely drain the oil pan resulting in engine damage.

Any answers on why the engine does not turn over, too hot?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Leak 2007 Camry~ VVT Line Ruptured