General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overall performance problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Default Overall performance problem.

This is a first for me. I have never tried a forum before so this should be interesting. My wife and I own a '96 Camry with a 2.2L. She told me the check engine light came on last week and Auto Zone was nice enough to pull the code for me; it said a miss fire in cylinder 4. This made sense since the fuel mileage has gone down hill and it has a rough idle. I have change the plugs, cap, rotor and currently have a sent of wires on order. However, an ohms test did not show any problems with the wires. The car is driven in-town and at slow speeds; less than 10 miles per trip. Oh, the fuel filer and air filter have also been replaced. During the last few days, it seems that the valve train makes a little more noise than it used to but not too much. I have never had the injectors cleaned or the valves adjusted. It does seem to lack low end power (I know...it's only a 4 cylinder), almost like a hesitation, but seems normal in the upper RPM range (Repeated trips into the upper RPM range were fun but not successful).
I used to work on cars many years ago and have trouble taking my vehicles in for service. Has anyone had any similar problems with their cars. Or does anyone have any suggestions to help improve gas mileage/idle quality. Any and all input will be appreciated.
Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that the car only has 86,000 or so miles.
New member,
Scott

Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Overall performance problem.

did the codes clear themselves once you tuned it up?

Old 01-25-2006, 08:39 PM

Gas mileage problem? Replace injectors,or put some sea foam in the gas tank or intake manifold.Sea foam will clean up carbon build up and helps to reduce taping in the engine. The problem with the misfire could be a number of things. Distributor,spark plug gap problem (not the correct gap) etc etc

Old 04-13-2006, 03:43 PM

1. Maybe its time for a compression test. Haynes manual says minimum psi: 142 psi to max: 178 psi.

2. Maybe the timing belt has jumped time? Its loose and skipped a tooth?

3. Maybe throttle body is dirty? Remove the air filter tubing and try cleaning the throttle body with carb cleaner/intake cleaner. Works alot better if you unbolt and remove it, (and you can probably reuse the old gasket if youre careful, it is rubber-like material). That butterfly gets crudded up pretty bad and sometimes sticks and wont close fully.

Also even more important, remove the Idle air sensor from the bottom (its the part with coolant hoses going to it, just plug these with a bolt or something, no need to drain the coolant). Clean the small rotating vanes. They get crudded up badly too and then it doesnt want to idle.
Not that this is definetely your problem, i cant tell from a post, but its [IMG]worth a try.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18/A48C70707DE04C8F9C69CE74DFCE3395.jpg[/IMG]