General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PLZ Help, No accelaration power

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Default PLZ Help, No accelaration power

2000 Camry - V6, Just replaced COP's, Wires, Plugs, Air Filter, PVC valve and Fuel Filter. Car idles fine, but under a load has almost no accelaration. Starts to make a sound like (a weak BB gun shooting a Coke Can " a tink"). I can't quite tell where it's coming from but sounds stronger toward the back CAT. Wife took it to Mienicke and they said the CAT's were fine. I'm at a loss for what the problem is. I have also checked the timing belt, both cam timing marks were dead on. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward the CAT or Muffler being clogged or a bad ECU. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM

is the check engine light on ?????????timing marks are good on the cams right but what about the crank shaft mark ,do they all line up ???check for wrong fuel a lot of people put E85 by accident ,take a fuel sample on a glass cup .
if you think is the cat converter , at the shop we use a cat test pipe on substitution for the cat to perform a test ,at home disconnect the exhaust before the cat and take it for a spin does it have power now if it does get a new cat .
no acceleration could also be the mass air flow sensor :
check the mass air flow sensor ,remove it and see if it's dirty or full of oil residues , carefully clean it using throttle body cleaner .

Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 PM

No engine light except for the flashing one, gives the codes for misfires. Also i had recently cleaned the MAF and EGR valve. No change in condition. Would a clogged CAT cause a "Tink" type of noise. Thinking its building up pressure and then when I bust throw so to say it's giving the "Tink" noise. Also the exhaust looks like it jumps or vibrates. Again why i'm leaning toward a clogged CAT. What you guys think.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 PM

fix the misfire first , engine misfire will damage the cat converter ,misfire also produce a bad exhaust odors