General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Problem getting 94 Camry diagnostic codes

Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Default Problem getting 94 Camry diagnostic codes

The Check Engine light came on this week on my '94 Camry Wagon, LE-V6. When I turn the ignition on, the light comes on and stays on. When I start the engine, the light remains on steady.

I am trying to get the fault code by turning the ignition to ON, then jumping the TE1 to the E1 pins on the OBD-I connector under the driver's dash. When I make the connection, the Check Engine light remains on and does not flash.

I have a factory wiring diagram manual. I can see that the E1 pin is connected to ground. It also says the voltage between the TE1 or TE2 pins and E1 should be between 9 and 14 volts with the ignition on. They are both within this range. I also measured the resistance between the E1 pin and a different ground, and it is 0 ohms. I have even tried to jump the TE1 pin directly to ground, but it still doesn't get the Check Engine light to flash the code.

I have also borrowed an OBD scan tool. When it tried to connect and go through the set up, it gave the messages, "Toyota OBD-I", "Please wait while codes are retrieved", then "unable to communicate with vehicle".

Is there another connector somewhere else that I can try? Can anyone suggest something so I can get the codes so I know where to start troubleshooting the car?

When the engine is stone cold and I try to accelerate, it bogs down, then the check engine light comes on. It is not missing or chugging, it keeps running but just seems to lose power. It does not do this when it is at normal operating temperature.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by mLaskowski; 07-18-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

There may be small plastic box inside the engine compartment labeled "Diagnostic." The box contains wire terminals that can be jumped, the key to the terminals is under the lid of the box.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the info, Joey.

I did look around the engine compartment, but did not find anything obvious. Really the only two boxes I found were for fuses and relays.

Do you know about where it might be located?

Mark

Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

This year of Camry with V6 option appears to have an early ODB II system that was not fully compliant.

You may need a interface cable between the reader and plug or a different reader.

See link below:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=69415

Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 PM

My wagon was built in May of 1994, so this makes sense.

I'll see if I can find another scan tool with the correct adaptor, or find someplace that has one.

Mark

Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM

I found the "diagnostics" port under the hood. When standing at the front bumper looking back towards the engine, it is on the upper left end of the intake manifold, almost over the cylinder head closest to the firewall.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Try using the same wiring jumping method as with the other plug, but the system may be an early ODBII system.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:40 PM

Hello, this thread is very old so my information will not help the original creator but maybe it will help those who come here hoping to understand why they can not get codes to diagnose their Check Engine light. Camry models from 1994 and maybe 1995 have the OBD I port under the hood(to the left of the Intake manifold) and under the lower dash(a small circular plug port). For the 4 cylinder engines, those ports will allow them to get the codes by using a OBD I scan tool or by jumping E1 and TE1(count the number of check engine flashes when you turn the ignition on). However when the car has the rare V6 3.0L engine in it(usually with the A541E Automatic transmission), the car will also have a hidden OBD II port that most people(including some so called toyota experts, do not seem to know about). If you jump the OBD I port E1 and TE1 but nothing happens with your check engine light... than you probably need to use the OBD II port. To the left of the steering wheel is a small compartment that some people refer to as a change tray. Pull that completely out of the dash and you will find a small fuse panel and right next to it will be the OBD II port that you can use to scan for codes. I hope this helps someone because i was so frustrated by not being able to get the codes to help me fix the vehicles issues. Some nice people on a video site, were kind enough to make videos explaining things like this to me. I figure that i should try to share the information with as many people as possible to help those with similar issues. Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2019, 03:22 PM

THANK YOU!!! couldnt find the video i watched on youtube for this simple way to get codes to read.

i have a long trim issue im trying to figure out, when my cars wet it will die or not start, well used to not start. new fuel pump and fuel filter, alternator and batt and i was going again for about 2k miles, now that i had to drive to work in the rain(desert) my car died pulling into work after running for 30min. then left work cos its raining(work at a car wash..) car died after getting splashed from another car that was like getting 5 gallons dumped at once at my driver side window area. then car puttered down about a min later and died. started back up 5 minutes later only to die the same way, unpluged my map sensor and got down the road, of course it died again. plugged back in and kept turning off and rolling in neutral since i knew it would start, but die shortly within 5 minutes max..

for whomever it helps or can help thanks. ill post this for help and link my issue in my own post in future and try to remember if i actually get this fixed.

BUT the E1 to TE1 on a v6 in this model year!! thanks!!!

Old 03-13-2020, 07:03 PM

Hey thanks for the post I just did this I have the 95 Camry with the 6 cylinder 3.0 I found the OBD port behind the change tray and it said when I plug it in had to wait 8 minutes and after that I had to make sure the car was emergency brake is on make sure the air conditioner was off and it said to turn the car on Let It idle till it got hot so I did all that try to get the codes had to wait 8 minutes and then I got the same message again make sure the car with mergency break was on make sure the air conditioner was off idle to the car got hot and then had to wait eight minutes how many is something up with this or do you got to do this numerous times to get the coats is every time I push get the codes it tells me to put make put the car in emergency brake on make sure the air conditioner is off let the car idle to warm or hot and then I do that and it says testing for 8 minutes and then it just does the same thing over and over any insight would be great I don't know what's going on I can't get the codes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem getting 94 Camry diagnostic codes