General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about changing transmission fluid ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Default Question about changing transmission fluid ?

I have a 95 Camry LE with the 2.2 engine and automatic transmission. I want to change the transmission fluid and wondered what is involved ? I have my owners manual showing the fluid type and quantity but I do not have a service manual. Yesterday while I was changing the differential fluid I saw what looked like the transmission fluid drain plug. I'm going from memory but I think someone told me the screen needs to be removed and cleaned. If someone can advise me on this procedure it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Old 07-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Just replace the screen. There are kits that contain the screen and pan gasket.

See private message.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:03 PM

Thank you for your response, I'm wondering if I should replace the screen and pan gasket or just do a drain and fill. The car was purchased new by my father and given to me 5 years ago before he passed away. The odometer is getting ready to turn over to 152,000 miles. I may try and drive this car for quite a while so I don't want to cut any corners. Is the transmission fluid added by using a small funnel and pouring it in where the stick is ? Thanks again, Chuck

Old 07-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

What is the reasoning behind not doing a screen change? Are you capable of doing the screen change? What are you mechanical car skills.

Most of the oil is in the torque converter and will not drain out. A pan drain is only about 2 quarts. If you just change the pain oil, you will be mixing approx 2 quarts of new oil with approx 4 quarts of old. You will need to a good number of drain and refills to finally get most of the oil fluid changed.

There is a way to change all the trans fluid by using the trans oil pump to move the old oil out if interested.

New fluid is added via the dip stick tube using the small funnel.

If you drain and refill the trans pan. Try to measure how much fluid came out. Then add that much fluid to the trans (or slightly less) via the stick tube. This will help obtain the correct level of fluid. The final level is checked via the dipstick. Its easy to add fluid if low then to drain out fluid if too high.

If possible it is better to clean the pan of debris. Unless the trans has problems the screen should be clean.

Much more important is to get as much old oil replaced!!!!!!!!!!!! This even if you need to drain and refill the pan a good number of times.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:40 PM

I should be OK changing the screen, my only issue is working in tight quarters. I have ramps for the front and can raise the back with a hydraulic jack. At 64 years of age I don't really like being squeezed under the car, it didn't bother me much when I was younger. I hate paying someone to do something I can do but there are some things I just don't want to do.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't want to get under the car do the following and forget changing the screen.

One can change the trans oil 2 quarts at time until its clear without getting under the car.

Disconnect the trans oil cooler return line at the trans (a rubber hose). Run the end of the hose into a clear container. You might need to slide on a larger hose over the trans hose to extend the hose length.

Start engine (trans in Park and emergency brake on) and allow two quarts to come out (don't run the trans out of oil). Stop engine and add the same amount of oil to the trans via the dip stick tube as came out.

Repeat the pump out and fill process until the oil is clear. This should take 8 to 10 quarts.

On last trans refill use the dipstick marks to get an accurate fill when topping off. You don't want to overfill the trans.

Check trans oil when hot. Engine on, trans in Park after moving the shifter slowly from P to L and back.

This process uses the trans oil pump to move it out and has little risk of trans damage (unlike a trans oil "flush").

The internet should have videos and posts on this process.

The process works very well!!!!!.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

PS.

If your going to get under the car. Place the spare tire and other solid objects under the chassis in case the car drops. You might be trapped for a time but you will still be alive.

Those plastic jack stand ramps can crack and fail.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:28 AM

My ramps are solid wood, made them years ago to raise my Corvette. I also use jack stands when I have the rear of the car raised up. I watched a You tube video and it doesn't look to bad so I think I will probably crawl under there and change the filter out. The video I watched showed the guy using an Oreilly FK 244 that includes filter and gasket for $12.99. Its suppose to be an OEM replacement, I think I will check with Toyota and see what they charge. My old Camry should be in pretty good shape after I do this service. Funny its a 24 year old car and not worth much but I really like it.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:47 PM

I'm wondering if the kit sold by Oreilly Auto would be OK ? It's part FK 244 and sells for just $12.99, that is much cheaper than OEM Toyota.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Part should fit the trans. Should be good to go.

Clean the magnets in pan and place them back in the same location as found.

Quick Reply: Question about changing transmission fluid ?