General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:06 AM
Default Radiators

Hello everyone
I have a 94 2.2 le

the previous owner replaced the radiator with a Denso 5/8" unit. It looks a week old or so and there is already a leak from the upper plastic tank crimp area below the radiator cap. The factory cap was used. I must replace it. Denso has a 1" thick core.... or is denso just garbage and you know of a better unit ? I'm new to toyotas.. first one!

Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Denso good! Toyota owns part of the company which supplies parts to Toyota factories.

Make sure its leaking at the crimp as the upper tanks can crack.

What was the source of this Denso radiator, local or internet order? Has happened that shipped to home radiators can be bounced around in transit to the point of leaking at the seams. This is due to poor radiator shipping packaging.

A radiator shop (common job) or perhaps you could try to re-crimp the plastic top down to the core. It takes a special tool (try Ebay). There is an large o-ring between the core and top.

If replacing the radiator on as DIY, suggest buying locally and if available getting a life time guarantee. Radiators shipped to local parts stores are packed better to avoid damage. If the radiator leaks, take it back for a free replacement. Your brand selections at the local stores my be limited, but if the radiator leaks you have local recourse.

There are single and double row radiators. Unless towing, a single row works just fine.