General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 01:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Is it safe to change your own brakes and rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Default Is it safe to change your own brakes and rotors?

So I took my 2002 Toyota Camry today for inspection and low and behold my front brakes and rotors are about to explode. The dealership quoted me $412.00. An independent mechanic said he could do it for $260. I have a friend who told me he can replace them for free, all I need to do is front the $160 or so for the parts. My friend has limited knowledge of how to do them and has never replaced them on my car. I look up some videos on this on YouTube and it looks straightforward enough. I would also like to save the 100 on labor that the mechanic would charge me. I am however a little worried about letting my friend do this. Is it safe to change your own brakes and rotors ? If a mistake is made will the car not be able to stop? I don't know what to do

Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM

replacing brake rotors and pads is a easy job and if ur buddy have the tools for the job i would recomend u to do that yourself ,will save u money and add extra piece of mind.I've seen too many videos of mechanic scams ,where they replace with cheap china parts or dont replace parts at all but charge for that.All needed for the job is few sockets good ratchet and C clamp to press the brake piston back to make the space for the new pads to go it.Registed to Autozone online and u will get step by step how to do the job.When u do ur own brakes u can choose the best rotors/pads on the market with lifetime warranty and i still pay less than 200 bucks,so u will end up with better result for less price ....A and dont forget to get a six pack for ur friend

Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by RunnerDude1185
An independent mechanic said he could do it for $260. I have a friend who told me he can replace them for free, all I need to do is front the $160 or so for the parts.

... I would also like to save the 100 on labor that the mechanic would charge me. I am however a little worried about letting my friend do this. Is it safe to change your own brakes and rotors ? If a mistake is made will the car not be able to stop? I don't know what to do
sounds like you have to decide if peace of mind is worth $100 to you ...
from your questions, I'd say it's worth the money.

But, if you have friend do it, be sure you work with him so you'll more likely get that peace of mind.
If you're a young guy, the training you'll get on mechanical workings of cars will be worth a lot when future issues come up.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Default Replacing Rotors and pads.

I have a 1995 2.2 4cyl CAMRY 104.000 miles to date and have had it from new. So thats over 15 years of ownership.

I only replaced the pads once at 65.000. Miles.

I had an offer this last week by my Lexus dealer of GB£250 = US$400 for trade in on a 2004 RX300 at GB12500.
I have decided to run it many more years. So decided to tidy up some of the needed maintance for the next 100k miles.

This week I purchased a complete set of Discs (4) and Pads from Toyota.
cost was GB£215 = US£344.
My local garage just fitted them all for GB£120 = US$192.
I usually do this work but as I am 77 years old now I decided to have them do it.
It was nice to drive in...and drive out all done.
They are not a difficult job to do, But you MUST TAKE CARE.
It was only age that slowed me down this time.
NOTHING to do with the wifes complaints I asure you.

Johnny UK

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM

The best for u is to do ur own repair.I have been working on my own cars for years and i started doing so not because i love to have my hands dirty but after i paid a local shop to do a brake work on my car and the next day my girl was driving on the highway and she suddenly had no brakes.Thanks the lord that this was back cape cod,ma and there is not so much traffic so she managed no pull over safely.I wish i sued them .....Since that day everycar i get i will buy the repair manual and look online for tips and how to there is allways someone that had this job done and did step by step.Many shops have high school kids working for 8-9 bucks an hour couse experienced mechanics want more $$$.I've purchased atlleast 8 cars from shops that had them wrongly diagnosed and then left by the costumer to cover diagnostics charge

learn how to do this job and u will safe $$$ in the future