General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shake between 45 and 55, not tires or wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Default Shake between 45 and 55, not tires or wheels

Just bought a 98 Toyota Camry, and it has a shimmy between 48 and 53 mph. You can't feel it at all below 48, and it gets almost totally better above 53, it's just that range right around 50 that is bad. The car has 104K miles, and is on the original struts. I've ruled out tires by getting 4 brand new ones (nice Bridgestones), same shake. Also just replaced all 4 wheels from steel to alloy, exact same shake. Can't seem to tell whether it is from the front end or rear. Firestone says I need new shocks, but they seem to be pretty good from the bounce test. And Car-X says it could be a bent axle. It drives me crazy but I can't justify throwing thousands of dollars at the car in a random part replacement frenzy.... HELP!!?!

PS it also seems to get better if I'm accelerating through that range, maybe from the increased load on the engine? It is the worst when I'm just crusing at 50, or lightly on the gas or brake in that range.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Shake between 45 and 55, not tires or wheels

These issues can be very difficult to diagnose.

Did Firestone state the shocks were leaking? The body should stop bouncing in about 1 1/2 cycles.

A bent axle or bad CV joint is possible, typically the vibration gets worse with more acceleration (engine power). Were the CV boots inspected for splitting or damage causing the grease to come out and water and debris to get in.

Can you coast through the vibration range in Neutral.

Are you getting any feedback from the brake pedal or steering wheel?

Did any one actually inspect the suspension for excess play. Issues like tie rod ends, suspension bushings on control arm and rear suspension rods, etc?

Any howing noise suggesting a wheel bearing?

How is the tire wear on old tires, even all the way around, no inner or outer tire wear?

Old 09-25-2008, 02:25 PM

sounds to me like a CV joint like toyomoho suggested.worn CV joints tend to vibrate under diffrent throttle positions.here is something that I did when I had that problem . . . . go and buy a gease fitting that looks like a hypodermic needle. Then take your grease gun and, with this fitting attached, pierce the CV boot that the vibration seems to be coming from(maybe both of the outers if you're not sure where it is coming from).Better if you put it in a low spot of the ribs that make up theboot.
Then spray brake cleanerto degrease the area that you inserted the needle and dab a little gasket sealer in the hole (it is really not even a hole butI felt better putting this sealer on).
Again, I had the same problem on my car. tires, alignment, shocks, nothing workrd until I did this little trick. see, the grease in the boot gets dry and does not lubricate the way it should causing vibrations at specific speeds and torques.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

FAIL

Old 07-20-2020, 06:03 PM

Did you fix your issue ? I have the same porblem. The car shake from 35mph and up. When I changed front struts, problem came from 0mph to 35mph.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:43 PM
Default Momentary vibration at 45.

Feels like I drove across a short section of rumble strip as I acce through 45. No vibration on deceleration. Car going in for struts; due to a leak not for this vibration.

Last edited by Chubbwm; 08-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:48 PM

Yes, I changed struts because I have leaks and car did bounce on every bump.

When I changed front struts, my car is shaking when I press gaz (from 2000 to 3000 or 3500 RPM).