General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

SRS Warning light Camry SE V6 2002 110KMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Default SRS Warning light Camry SE V6 2002 110KMI

The light started flashing after wife used my car for one day. She claims she didn't spill/hit anything. Manual says "see dealer as soon as possible". Manual also says "do not disconnect your battery cables before contacting your toyota dealer"

A few weeks agoI cleaned the air conditionditioning filter (removed and vacuumed) and replaced the license plate light bulbs, which according to the manual should have been replaced by toyota dealer ("do not try to replace licence plate light bulbs yourself. You may damage the vechicle")

I must admit, I just read the carmanual for the first time..............

So, yestarday I disconnectedthe negative cable from the battery for a minute or two. Didn't help.
I disconnected it again for a coule of hours. When connected it back, the tachometer arrow was pointing to 7-8 and speedometer arrow was pointing to 75-80mph. I figured, the car computer must gotten reset. Put the key in the ignition, started the car - the SRS light is still flashing. Took car for a ride - car started having severe stalling problems. Fixed the stalling problems by driving the car for about 45 minutes(or maybe just got lucky - https://www.camryforums.com/m_18217/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#18478)

Questions
[ol][*]what could be the problem with the SRS Warning light? Dealer wants $100 for diagnostics. I can probably get it done at the local shop for under $50. However, sicne I don't have a mechanic I can fully trust (never needed one, had accord before camry) I'd like to have an idea of what has gone wrong.[*]If I keep driving with flashing light, will the airbag(s) deploy if I get involved in an accident?[*]Is there a fuse, which might need to be replaced? If so, where is the fuse and what else I need to do other then replace it?[*]Could it have something to do with the airconditioning filter I cleaned or the license plate bulbs I replaced (I did these two things weeks before the srs light started flashing. Plus, I did this on 2 camrys I own (2nd one is 2003 v4), but the 2nd one doens't have any issues yet). I changed bulbs 2-3 weeks ago, but I only drove the car 5-10 times since, for total of about 50 miles ifnot less.[*]Could the low outside temperature (below freezing) have triggered something?[/ol]
Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: SRS Warning light Camry SE V6 2002 110KMI

Greetings Lee:

I assume this is a 2002 Camry V6.

What SRS light is flashing. On some later models there are several SRS lights. The one on the instrument cluster, one for the passengers seat and maybe a third one. Which one is flashing?

The reason the manual states to see the dealer ASAP is the SRS system may no longer be activated and you may not have any working airbags. Depending on which light is blinking the system may have a problem and turns off.

The SRS system has a built-in diagnostic system. The system can be accessed via the ODBII port using a hand held code reader and maybe (but not sure) via the SRS light itself.

The reason the manual states to no disconnect the battery is in doing so it might clear any trouble codes that were stored in the computers memory.

The SRS computer checks the system I think at each ign key turn on. If the computer was reset but the problem remained the light would trigger again after the next test.

The stalling issue may be because you disconnected the battery and the car computer needs time to readjust. Engine problems after battery replacement or disconnect are common and typically work themselves out over time.

The Toyota dealer always wants around $100 this is SOP. They will plug in their code reader to the ODBII port and readout any codes. The code will them be looked up and the problem area identified.

$50 sounds better but you may be able to rent or borrow a code reader from various autoparts stores the rent or loan them out as part of their desire for you to buy parts from them.

If the dash console SRS light is on, the SRS system is off. None of the airbags will work.

Not sure on the fuse will need to look this up.

Don't know about the air conditioning filter. The issue would be IF any wires going to the SRS system components were disconnected in the process. Could you have disconnected any wires and not reconnected them? Yet Camry owners have been replacing this filter for years without problems.

Not sure why Toyota states to have the dealer only fix on the license plate bulbs, this is strange. There should not be any SRS components aft of the rear passenger area.

2 weeks between working on the car and the SRS light coming on is an indication the work you did should not have been the cause. Unless there was a wiring issue.

On these cars there may be a SRS light for the passengers seat. The newer systems have a sensor in the seat to tell if someone or something (weight) is on the seat. And determine if the weight is above a certain amount and if the seat belt is attached.

This allows airbag operation to be turned off if no one is in the seat. The airbag may also have a 2 stage airbag system where a heavier person gets the full force of the bag and a lighter person a reduced force. In using weight this may presume the size of the person and thus not have small folks being killed by the bag.

This passenger light comes on and off and can flash if there is problem. Make sure nothing has been placed on the seat. Ask your wife if she placed items on the seat and if there may be a connection with the light flashing. Weight on the seat but no seat belt connected and possible SRS light flashing (just guessing here).

The SRS system should have been tested at low temps. If it has a problem at low temps Toyota would be in major trouble for poor design.

Post back with any info requested and remember you may NOT have working airbags. If you would assume you don't have!

I am not an expert on this year of airbag system but will help the best I can.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM

My replies are in italicblue

ORIGINAL: toyomoho
What SRS light is flashing. On some later models there are several SRS lights. The one on the instrument cluster, one for the passengers seat and maybe a third one. Which one is flashing?
There's only one SRS Warnng light in this Camry and it is called "SRS Warning light". It is located in "Service reminder indicators and indicator lights" section. There are two "seat belt reminder" lights, next to turn signal lights. But those are not the problem.

The stalling issue may be because you disconnected the battery and the car computer needs time to readjust. Engine problems after battery replacement or disconnect are common and typically work themselves out over time.
I learned it the hard way.

Is it safe to say that any time you have this stalling problem after you disconnect the battery, all you have to do is to drive it for xx of minutes and the problem will go away? If so, does the car have to be driven, or can it be parked (or in neutral) wth accelerator pedal pressed ilightly for xx minutes? And for how long (xx) ?

No need to clean the throttle body to get the stalling problem fixed?

Also,do you think I should still have the Throttle body cleaned? I have replaced the EGR valve 3 years (50kmi) ago, when car was stallingat random, once in 2-3 weeks..but the throttle body was not cleaned at the same time. Most likely it was never cleaned. I wonder if not cleaning it can make EGR valve get dirty again?

If the dash console SRS light is on, the SRS system is off. None of the airbags will work.
Good to know!

Don't know about the air conditioning filter. The issue would be IF any wires going to the SRS system components were disconnected in the process. Could you have disconnected any wires and not reconnected them? Yet Camry owners have been replacing this filter for years without problems.
Don't remmber. I need to look at it agagin. But again, I did this weeks ago.

On these cars there may be a SRS light for the passengers seat. The newer systems have a sensor in the seat to tell if someone or something (weight) is on the seat. And determine if the weight is above a certain amount and if the seat belt is attached.

This allows airbag operation to be turned off if no one is in the seat. The airbag may also have a 2 stage airbag system where a heavier person gets the full force of the bag and a lighter person a reduced force. In using weight this may presume the size of the person and thus not have small folks being killed by the bag.

This passenger light comes on and off and can flash if there is problem. Make sure nothing has been placed on the seat. Ask your wife if she placed items on the seat and if there may be a connection with the light flashing. Weight on the seat but no seat belt connected and possible SRS light flashing (just guessing here).
My wife has mentioned that she gets one of the lights flashing (or steady, not sure)when she places sometihng on the passenger seat. She can't recall which light, but I'm assumiing the "seat belt reminder" is the one she gets. I dont ussually have anything on the passenger seat, other then mayby something big and heavy that can't be placed anywhere else in the car (like a tube TV or a box), but I never got the SRS warnging light. I pay attention to these things and wouldnotice it right away.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I am trying to post a reply but getting the "Forbidden" message. The site has a few problems, this appear to be one of them. It could be the length of message, ?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

If only one light then the SRS system has a problem and would assume none of the airbags will work in the car.

I don't know about actually needed to drive the car to get the computer to get things back to normal. Guessing the computer may also monitor MPH. Driving the car has always been the suggested way to get things back to normal but never know.

The throttle body issue seems to be if there is a mild issue with idle, not crazy idle behavior such as after a battery disconnect. Actual idle RPM is controlled by the Intake Air Control valve (IAC). This valve is mounted under the throttle body. It has a small motor that opens/closes a valve to vary bypass air around the throttle plate.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

The engine computer sends the signal to the valve. This computer should have a trouble code for the IAC valve, as such if there is a major problem the Check Engine Light should come on.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

If dirty the IAC valve can stick. The result is too low/high idle, varing idle speed, the car starts and dies but runs if you use some gas pedal. The fix is cleaning the valve with a plastic, 02 sensor and CAT converter safe cleaner. In Toyota this is typically throttle bore cleaner (don't use brake cleaner!).

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Would not think a dirty throttle body would cause an issue with the EGR valve. The valve routes exhaust gas back into the intake manifold beyond the throttle body. The carbon in the EGR system would be from the exhaust gases.

Super Moderator

I suggest if interested a Google search on cleaning the IAC valve and throttle body for a 1MZ-FE engine. These type of cleaning is common, owners have even posted how-to's on the net. Use a throttle bore cleaner and if possible have the engine running.

Super Moderator

For the SRS system it could be one of the sensors in the passenger seat. The SRS system itself is VERY robust.

Quick Reply: SRS Warning light Camry SE V6 2002 110KMI