General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stability control

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Default stability control

Hi all! It is my first time on this site and I encountered an interesting issue when the Portland area got pounded with snow this week. I love my '07 Camry LE V6 and it has always handled well in the rainy Pacific Northwest weather especially with the electronic stability control. Anyway, we live up on a large hill in the SE Portland metro area with an elevation of about 1000 feet. My issue is that it seemed the stability control really impeded my ability to get the car up the hill in moderate snow. It felt like the acceleration would cut out every time the wheels would spin as I was attempting to gain momentum to get up the hill. What I needed was to be able to fish tail a bit as I gunned it to get up the hill, but then I would see the stability control light come on the dash and the accelerator would cut out. I would then basically stop and then my tires would spin when I would hit the gas again and then I would go no where. Even after I put chains on my front tires I could barely get up the hill. Does anyone have advice on how to deal with the stability control when going up a hill in the snow so the acceleration doesn't keep cutting out? Can I manually turn off the stability control in a situation like that? Thanks.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: stability control

Not just you, others have had this exact same issue.

The system functions by applying the brake to stop wheel spin and can cause this issue.

See link below for a possible way to turn off the system before each drive.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ction-control/