General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission ques.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Default Transmission ques.

I am a new member...with little knowledge about cars in general
I am about to purchase a 95' Camry LE Sedan w/ 95,621 miles...was told it has new Transmission, that it runs "great" and is reliable....Does this sound like a good situation? I haven't seen any of the service reports as yet...Does anyone think I should proceed with caution or back away ??....Any advice will be graciously appreciated....
Thank You...
Kearny 1

Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission ques.

i would question why it neededa new transmission.
also if the transmission is really new and oem, or aftermarket new, or rebuilt "new".

best way to do is test drive, and check the fluid on the dipstick for the transmission. if its still maroon red smells somewhat sweet (not burnt) then you're pretty ok.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Default RE: Transmission ques.

Always, always, alwaysget an independent mechanic to check a used car for purchase. Asnodrogkam says why did the trans fail, at what mileage did it fail? Who replaced it and what did they replace it with? Does it still have a warranty? Could have just thrown a wrecking yard trans in with many more miles than are on the odometer.