General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper engine mount conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Default Upper engine mount conversion?

Working on a 93 Camry 2200cc for a friend who needs new engine mount(s). The most visibly bad one is the dogbone mount which is shot to pieces. At the local junkyard there are about 15 gen 3 Camrys around all with less than satisfactory upper engine mounts. However, there is a gen 4 Camry with a larger bushing to it that is intact. When I got it off the car it appeared to be a little shorter than the gen 3 bushing.
My question is can the conversion be done and if so can I just slap it in there or am I going to have the get the bracket off too? If the bracket has to go it looks like I'll be pulling the engine out too. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

The dog bone is a common part available from the dealer or aftermarket. The bushings are not available by themselves.

The Toyotanation website had a few posts on converting the Gen 3 to Gen 4. You should be able take off the engine mount bracket on the Gen 3 without taking the engine out.

Some owners have filled the damage bushing with rubber sealant that is curable. The internet will have posts on this.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. Popped it in and it seems to be a direct fit. The Toyotanation stuff was helpful too.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 PM

great news!Can you share to us what you did?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Simple really. There was no tension on the mount from the donor car and the car I was working on so all I had to do was unbolt the dogbone and mounting bracket from the Gen 4 Camry (need to do this as the new as the bracket has clearance for the larger gen 4 bushing) and attach to the gen 3. Initially, I thought I would have to swap another bracket that the engine mount sets on but it all lined up correctly.
I also have used the front engine mount from the gen 4 and that has worked as well once I replaced the upper metal piece that attaches it to the engine block. This mount is different from the gen 3 as it is taller. It fits properly but I am going to monitor it once I get it started and let it run for awhile.
I am guessing that these changes were made as an improvement to the old mounts that seem to destroy themselves too quickly. Hopefully, this will prove the case on this 93 Camry.
I

Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Do you experience less engine vibration at idle with the new mount?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Have not gotten that far yet. I am working on the radiator, too, and as such the oil cooler lines are disconnected and the engine is dry. Right now:

1. I am capping the oil cooler lines and looking for some used oil to crank it over a few times and see if it steadier. Then I'll drain it and put new oil in. Seems like the right way to go about it but then again I've never tried doing this with the rad off.
2. Looking for a good way to get at the rear motor mount. Read several accounts that say if one or two are bad (and they are) then the other two may be shot as well. I spent a good portion of today under another 93 at the junk yard trying to find a way to yank it out. I ended up pulling the passenger side driveshaft out along with the bracket that secures the mount to the engine and serves as a pass through for the driveshaft. I could not get the bearing that hold the shaft in the bracket to come out so I took it out as one piece after raising the engine up about a foot. The Haynes manual I had simply said to pull the splined end out of the differential. It was silent on how to get the bearing out of the bracket. Too much work and mess and chances to screw something up badly when I work on the car I am actually going to fix. To top it off, the mount did not look like the one I am replacing.
Right now I am thinking I may be able to run a series of extensions and Universal joints down along the firewall to the bolt on top of the motor mount as the intake manifold blocks any direct access.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

The bearing has a large cir-clip holding the outer housing into the housing plus a set screw on the bottom of the housing. The axle itself is not held into the dif housing by anything.

Failure of the upper mount is common, it may not mean the other mounts are also bad.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 PM

For anyone still interested, the situation seems to have sorted out. Gave it a quick drive around the block and sensed no vibration through the steering wheel at speed and no vibration at idle. Having the Gen 4 mounts seems to be an improvement. I did not ever get to the rear mount but at this point it seems unnecessary. I will know better when I get it on the freeway after the car gets licensed and insured and a transmission leak is fixed. Thanks for all the input so far.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with the info.

Quick Reply: Upper engine mount conversion?