General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-6 Engine Types (1994)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Default V-6 Engine Types (1994)

Some of the threads on the forum refer to a 2nd Generation or 3rd Generation type Camry. My V-6 has a part number beginning with 1MZFE.

What do I have, and what makes it different from earlier or later models?

Gary Curtis
Santa Monica

Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

You have a 1MZ-FE engine, V6. This engine was used in US Camry from 94-03.

Before this Toyota used a 3VZ-FE then a smaller 2VZ-FE. The 3VZ-FE continued to be used in non-US cars for many years.

1MZ has lighter aluminum block plus other changes as Toyota deemed required for the US market. The 1MZ was replaced in 04 by the 2GR-FE.

Each letter and number in the engine model specifies something. See link below:

List of Toyota engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For more detail on each engine do a wikipedia search on the model number.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 PM

So, after reading the various engine parameters on Wikipedia, I know that my motor was one of two types of V6 produced in 1994. It has an aluminum block, no turbo, a specific shape to the valves and significantly larger displacement.

But, how does that compare to the to other configurations in performance, gas economy and durability? I've already endured the oil shower from valve cover gaskets.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

When compared to other engines the 1MZ-FE would be considered to be very reliable.

It was designed to be lighter then the 3VZ-FE and have improved emissions and fuel economy. The 3VZ-FE bottom end was based on the 3VZ-E used in pickup trucks and SUV’s. It is supposed be stouter then the 1MZ-FE for this reason.

For Camry of this year, a 4-cylinder 5S-FE engine was offered that was built for economy and commuting.

The V6 option offered more performance (HP) but Camry is not a performance car. The 1MZ-FE was used in many Toyota models where most HP was wanted or required. It is not a performance engine unless modified and many performance parts are available.

You are better off with the 1MZ then the 3VZ-FE as parts are readily available including used engines.

The 3VZ-FE is a good engine but apparently per Toyota not suitable for US Camry due to MPG and emissions requirements.

Oil leaks are common in both the 4 cylinder and 1MZ-FE.