General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vacuum leak/Maf sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Default vacuum leak/Maf sensor problems

I have a 2011 Camry 4cyl and last week it started missing, and stalling out. We happened to be close to a Toyota dealership so I stopped by to see if they could tell hook it up to their computer to read the error code. It was misfire and running lean so they suggested that it could be the mass air flow but cleared the code and said if it came back on to bring it back so they could look into it. So I looked around on the internet for a MAF sensor and found one, ordered it, and installed it myself. The problem was better but the car was still missing so we scheduled an appointment to have a local mechanic to take a look at it, and before I took it in I noticed a whistling noise coming from the motor, so I told the mechanic about that and I figured that was some sort of vacuum leak. Turned out that it was and something had come loose and they fixed the problem. However, after we picked it up we drove it about 35 miles and the check engine light came back on, but there isn't any missing, stalling or anything. It seems to be running perfectly. Any ideas what might be causing this??

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Best bet is to get codes read.

If one item loose or off could be more?

Are you sure the new MAF sensor was the right one. Compare old and new.

In future, try cleaning MAF first. Often a dirty MAF can cause issues. The internet has lots of posts on cleaning MAF sensor. Only use a cleaning solvent safe for MAF sensors.

Depending on the state your in, autoparts stores will read or lend out a code reader for free to check codes in their parking lot. Call around. If the parts person is unable to do the job, the should be able to explain it to you. The internet also has info on reading the codes.