General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Varnish removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Default Varnish removal

I'm working on a 2001 Camry that has received less than regular maintenance. It has 198,000 miles and has been driven, but not taken care of. I would like to know if there is a way to clean to inside of the engine. From the condition of the oil dip stick I believe the oil wasn't changed very often. The dipstick was coated with a varnish making it impossible to read the marks. I've changed the oil and cleaned off the dipstick, but wonder if I should or can do something to clean the inside of the engine. I should also say filling the oil was very slow due to sludge and whatever in the fill port. Any ideas or comments welcome.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Varnish by itself is not a problem, sludge is.

The filler port has a baffle which will impede oil flow to an extent.

Suggest removing the valve cover having the filler port and investigating if the filler port baffle is plugged with something. If the engine has sludge it can build up on the valve train.

The internet will have photos of sludge on valve train. If sludge removing it is complicated and time consuming. If varnish this is normal and not a concern.

Depending on what you find, this will set your course of action.

If just varnish clean the dipstick with a solvent.

I suggest not to add chemicals to oil as this can free the sludge (if present) which will just plug up the oil intake screen. Sludge removal is time consuming and requires physical action.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 PM

Joey

Thanks for the reply. What you said makes sense to me. I did a search on Camry oil sludge pictures and was shocked. I wouldn't be too surprised if this engine has that to some extent since the oil was rarely changed. Truth is the car hasn't been maintained very well and probably should go to the junk yard. I'd like to keep it running another 6 months if it makes it. Will the sludge continue to build up if I do regular oil changes from now on or will the condition stabilize and not get worse? Thanks for the advise.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

The issue with slow oil fill could still be something other then sludge, suggest not assuming.

If sludge it will stabilize with regular oil changes. One issue is if bad enough it can plug the oil pump intake screen.

Suggest removing the valve cover then you will know one way or the other.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM

Joey

Thanks again. Is the valve cover gasket reusable or will I destroy it when I remove the cover? Should I get one from the dealer or an auto parts store like NAPA? Is there anything I should purchase before hand?

Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

The gasket should be reusable however they tend to leak, an auto parts store will have them. Note, there is the valve cover gasket and 4 spark plug tube gaskets that install in the cover.

If wanting a tight seal also use gasket sealer (suggest sealant at link below)and give it time to fully cure after the valve cover is installed and tightened down. Torque the large nuts in stages to 33 ft lbs. Keep torquing until the torque value stabilizes at 33 as the valve cover gasket will compress.

Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3.35 oz. Tube : Amazon.com : Automotive Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3.35 oz. Tube : Amazon.com : Automotive

Auto parts stores and department stores with an auto section should sell the sealant. Read directions on working and cure times.