General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: Buzzy/Whistle-y bearing timing belt/chain area

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Default Video: Buzzy/Whistle-y bearing timing belt/chain area

2005 camry 2.4

Car has 127k Bought this car at 123k, Don't know if original owners ever changed the serpentine belt.

Now that winter is approaching I've noticed that during cold starts, I hear a screeching in the morning for like 8 seconds. I went to get my oil change at Big O Tires, told him to check out the belt, he told me the Belt looks cracked in places which is probably the reason for the screeching. Tried charging me $105 I told him no thank I can do it myself.

45 minutes later (traffic on fwy) when I get home, I decide to look under the hood and hear this buzzing/whistling noise.

What do you guys think?

Serpentine Belt + Pulley bearning?
Serpentine Belt + tensioner?
Bearing?

Edit: as you can see in the first few seconds, the middle/front pulley is spinning, while the rear one, the outside shell of it, doesn't move at all, not sure if thats normal

Last edited by XxSicRokerxX; 10-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Use a section of hose as stethoscope to narrow down the area of the noise.

A bearing may be failing, the result being the pulley it is used on does not turn freely at cold start and the belt slips over the pulley until it begins to rotate.

Or the belt now glazed from slipping, slips until it grabs.

Tensioner bearing failure is common, listen here first.

The AC compressor has a magnetic clutch that when powered links the drive pulley to the compressor drive shaft. When not powered the compressor drive shaft does not rotate but the drive pulley still does.

If there is a bad bearing on a pulley, replace the belt as it is now glazed from slipping.