General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

VIDEO: Is my rack and pinion busted?? Please help

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Default VIDEO: Is my rack and pinion busted?? Please help

1985 Camry. 135k miles. Yes, only 135,000.

Is the tire rod end busted? Or is it the rack and pinion... - YouTube

Hit a big bump with the driver side wheel about a month ago. Since then my alignment on the car has gotten horrible. I have to hold the wheel like 20 degrees to the left just to stay straight. Also, when I straighten the wheel (and veer off the road 0_0) or when I turn right, there is a major shaking and rattling. I don't think its the CV joint, it appears fine. Finally got a chance to look at things, and I found the driver side tire rod end rotates a bit, as you can see here. The passenger side does not.

Does this indicate a problem with the tire rod end? Or is the rack and pinion damaged? The rubber boots on the CV are fine, the boots on the R&P are ripping.

I just need to keep this car running a few more months before I scrap it. Its seen its time, and its now a money pit. Suggestions please?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

The rod you are rotating is connected to the rack by a swivel joint and to the steering knuckle by another. As such it can rotate up and down if worn right and left as you are doing.

With the tire on but wheels off the ground grab a tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and shake in and out. Check for looseness and if you can shake the tire without resulting in the steering wheel moving.

Compare the side that did not hit the bump against the other side for bent or damaged parts. Check rim for damage and being bent, plus tire for damage.

Center the steering wheel and look at each tire. Is each tire pointing in the same direction or is one an angle?

More likely something may have bent when it hit the bump. This is causing the steering issues and vibration. If you can not find the problem yourself have someone who understand car mechanics, perhaps a friend look at it as it could be unsafe.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM

One thing I didn't mention...

On the driver side, the cap that bolts the strut to the body of the car, under the hood, is completely broken. As in, the strut literally wobbles around like a top when I have the car raised.

BUT, the reason I did not mention this is because it's apparently been that way for years. I was informed a few months ago when I took it to the shop for water pump/timing belt replacement.

My brother, who owned the car a few years ago, told me he remembers the right side shaking quite a bit sometimes when he would go over a bump. I'm guessing its cuz the strut cap was broken back then.

So, I'm not certain that the broken strut mount is whats causing the alignment issue in this case. I mean, it didnt seem to affect for a long time. I guess, the recent bump I hit really hard could have just made it worse?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

See your other post.