General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Weird Problem Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Default Weird Problem Stumped

GA_googleFillSlot("Forums_ROS_300x250_noad");

Hi,
I have a Toyota Camry 94 XLE.
My car engine won't start a few weeks ago because of a problem that was presumably a bad battery or faulty alternator. So I replaced the battery and the car works fine again... for about 3 days. During those 3 days, I noticed a few thigns:

1. The engine feels weak, the accelertion is slow and there are occasions when I step on the gas the engine revs but the car won't move for like a second.
2. Everytime I use anything that requires electricity i.e. windshield wipers, power lock, power windows, brakes, etc. the headlight dims, the interior lights dim, and the dashboard dims.

The people at Autozone says that it's probably the alternator, so I brought in the alternator to have it checked out and it was fine. I also did the test where u disconnect the battery while the engine is on, and the engine still runs. One day I turned on my stereo on the drive home from work, turned off the engine, then tried to turn it on the battery was drained and the car won't start. Everything seems to point towards the alternator but strangely the alternator is fine. So I poked around the hood just pushing on random connections then jump started the engine. Suddenly everything works fine. I cranked up the heat, turned on the music and everything but the car does not shut off. On top of that the acceleration feels smooth. So apparently now nothing is wrong that you can notice except for the interior lights still dims a little but not nearly as much as before. I assume the problem has to do with one or more of the electrical wires but have no idea which.

Problem update. I replaced the battery and the alternator. Today I drove to autozone to get my car's charging system tested again I got there but couldn't start the engine back up. Everyone there seems to think the problem was the alternator so I bought one on the spot and replaced it. Tried to jump start the car it doesnt work. So I opened up the hood and moved the negative terminal on the battery around (just fidgetting with it not remove) and the dashboard lights up and the car could start again. Basically the battery connection had to be moved around until you see the lights for the car to start. So I started the car, drove around fine. I got my brother to come look at my car. We tried to diagnose the problem. My alarm was sounding everytime we touch the negative terminal while the car was off so I disbled the alarm. The problem still persist. The problem is when driving around if i press the powerlock the engine would shut off. If I step on the brakes the engine might shut off sometiems yes sometiems no, same with the heater and everything else electronics they make the lights dim. However, suppose I start the engine, then disconnect the battery, either stepping on the brakes or press the powerlock would shut off the car. My cousin who knows a bit about cars seem to think it is the sensor or a lose ground. But he doesnt know for sure yet.[/align]

Old 09-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Default RE: Weird Problem Stumped

Replace the battery negative cable. I'd also clean the starter connections and all ground connections you can find under the hood.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Pedro is correct you have a bad ground some where in your starting system.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:15 AM

Ok I will clean out the battery terminals and check the grounds tomorrow. I only know of one ground near the battery. Where are the other ones? Also, some people suggested that the relay/regulator might be faulty. If that were the case, when I start the engine then disconnect the battery, then use powerlock would that shut off the engine? That is the main problem right now.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 AM

Other grounds will be black wires bolted/screwed to the engine and body, just search around. What's powerlock? Are you saying the car will idle with the battery disconnected but stall when put into gear?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

I think he is asking if using the power locks should make it stall? I'm not sure though.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 AM

Well if that's it then I guess if there were enough amp draw from the power door lock solenoids then that might draw too much away from the alternator charge to the engine to stall the car. I wonder if turning on the high beams would also stall the engine oroperating the power windows? Anyway I still think it's a ground problem and one an auto electrical shop may have to diagnose.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:41 AM

I checked the grounds they are fine. Also, I mean whenever the press the powerlocks that locks/unlock the doors the engine will shut off or dramatically lose power. This also happens with other power-consuming utilities but not as muchlight only dims a little if at all. This especially happens with the engine on and the battery disconnected. The engine seems to have irregular vibrations when I first fire up the car. The car will run normally fine for as long as i feel like until I use something that consumes power then the engine may die and lights definitely dims. I was thikning of checking the relay and fusebox for any blown fuses. Is there a difference between relay and voltage regulator?

Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: dbzfan112287

Is there a difference between relay and voltage regulator?
Yes. A relay switches a large current with a small current. The voltage regulator balances the voltage output depending on load. The voltage regulator is going to be incorporated in the alternator. If this is a reman alternator they typicallyhave a high failure rate and can be very poor quality. I would not discount the alternator as the cause, even if it is a replacement. I think you need an auto electric shop, not the clerks at Autozone.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

I would have to agree again. Unless you have a really really nasty short some where which the auto electric shop will also find I would point to the altenator.

Quick Reply: Weird Problem Stumped