General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Default Wiper motor issues

Hi folks, new to this site so bear with me please.
I tried the search function but could find nothing to help me with the following; I have a 1990 Camry 2.0 and have been sorting out a number of electrical issues but this last one has me stumped.
The windshield wipers and washers are dead, I get a voltage signal to one terminal of the wiper plug when the switch is activated but nothing to the other three at any position of the switch. The PO swapped out both motor and switch with supposedly good / tested used parts but still nothing. Fuses are good. Anyone have a clue as to what might be happening ? I was considering running a hot wire via a switch to activate the systems but don't know which terminals to hook up to and frankly, I would rather have it working correctly for my new to driving son.
Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom,

Chris.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

The Autozone website may have wiring diagram in the vehicle repair guides sections.

The wiper motor and wiper switch both receive power from a Blue wire going to the 20A wiper fuse. The wiper motor has 2-speeds. The speed is choosen by sending power to either the Blue/Black or Blue/Orange wires. Each of these wires goes to a different field coil. The other end of each field coil wire is grounded, perhaps this is a Black/White wire.

The Blue/White wire goes to a parking switch inside the motor that stops the motor when the blades are in the park position.

When parked this wire is connected to the ground wire that is also connected to the field coils.

When the blades are parked, the Blue/White wire should also be grounded. There should also be some continuity (ohm reading) between the Blue/White each of the Blue/Black-Blue/Orange wires.

As I understand the system when the wiper is turned on, the switch supplies power to one of the field coil wires depending on which speed is selected (high or low). The motor continues to operate with this power appliied.

When power is turned off a rotary cam switch inside the continues to receive power from the Blue wire to keep the motor running. When the cam gets to the blade park position, power is disconnected by the cam switch and the motor stops.

Your best bet is to obtain the wiring diagram from the Autozone site as one diagram is worth many words.