Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

"Front Exhaust" pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Default "Front Exhaust" pipe?

Hello all.

I happened to be getting routine work done on my Toyota at a local dealerhsip even though I don't like to go to them...$$$ and a lot of BS usually.

Anyway, one thing I wanted them to check was my exhaust seemed to be compromised as it was a tad loud. Turns out they said it had an exhaust leak. Makes sense. They said it was the "Front Exhaust Pipe" and that it would cost $1,295!!!!

Ok, now hold on there sparky. First, with that price you must be talking about replacing the catalytic converter - something that has already been DONE BY THEM. I told them as much but the service writer (not a mechanic) told my wife that this was not part of that. With that price tag it seemed way too high to just be a weld-on repair.

Now, am I just uninformed or would there be a pipe that magically costs over $1,000 that DOESN'T include the cat? Does this Camry have TWO cats? Are there other components involved, or are they just talking out of their asses?

Thanks!

Last edited by swataz; 06-25-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Some cars may still have been made to non-California emissions standards and have different exhaust systems. Thus not sure about number of converters.

Open the hood and look for something that looks like can having exhaust pipes leading to the engine on one side and the attachment for the exhaust pipe on the other. This would be a converter.

This converter can have exhaust leaks requiring replacement of the complete unit. Was this the converter that was replaced?

There could be another converter under the car installed in the front exhaust pipe section.

The link below has some info:

Walker Exhaust Info

Part 16384 is the converter that bolt to the engine.

Part 55435 would be the front exhaust pipe that might contain the second converter.

Also check the parts listed at this link. You will notice there is more then one converter location in the parts listed.

2003 TOYOTA CAMRY Catalytic Converter

The front exhaust pipe has something called a flex pipe welded on. This connects the pipe to the converter bolted to the engine and allows for flexing of the pipe due to engine movement. It is not uncommon for the flex pipe to leak.

If the leak is from the flex pipe the pipe can be cut out and a replacement welded in. The work would need to done by a muffler shop. Toyota does not offer weld on products only the replacement parts. The price quoted is typical for Toyota.

Suggest getting a second opinion from an muffler shop. They might be able to cut out the leaking section, etc. Again Toyota only offers parts, not cut and weld.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Some cars may still have been made to non-California emissions standards and have different exhaust systems. Thus not sure about number of converters.

Open the hood and look for something that looks like can having exhaust pipes leading to the engine on one side and the attachment for the exhaust pipe on the other. This would be a converter.

This converter can have exhaust leaks requiring replacement of the complete unit. Was this the converter that was replaced?

There could be another converter under the car installed in the front exhaust pipe section.

The link below has some info:

Walker Exhaust Info

Part 16384 is the converter that bolt to the engine.

Part 55435 would be the front exhaust pipe that might contain the second converter.

Also check the parts listed at this link. You will notice there is more then one converter location in the parts listed.

2003 TOYOTA CAMRY Catalytic Converter

The front exhaust pipe has something called a flex pipe welded on. This connects the pipe to the converter bolted to the engine and allows for flexing of the pipe due to engine movement. It is not uncommon for the flex pipe to leak.

If the leak is from the flex pipe the pipe can be cut out and a replacement welded in. The work would need to done by a muffler shop. Toyota does not offer weld on products only the replacement parts. The price quoted is typical for Toyota.

Suggest getting a second opinion from an muffler shop. They might be able to cut out the leaking section, etc. Again Toyota only offers parts, not cut and weld.
Thanks a lot for the wealth of info. I will check things out in the AM, and without a DOUBT will be seeking a solution elsewhere.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 AM

Good links information.