Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Hi flo cat converter

Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Default Hi flo cat converter

Wel it turns out that after replacing the clamp holding the cat to the muffler (which passed somehow, dont ask me) withtheproperflangegasket, there is apparently a leak in the flex pipe which ties into the cat converter. Already a bad day. It fails inspection AFTER I fix the damn thing [:@]so I was told I would need to replace the entire cat converter, not just the flex pipe. And THIS is where opportunity arises. I plan on just patchin the spot for now, a hi flo cat wont pass in Mass. Theestimate to replace the cat was around $300, stock. If I can get a hi flo for a GMC van for $150-$200, I'm pretty sure I can do so for the camry. What do you guys think? I need a power increase in the thing anyways, will it make a noticable difference? I read that even a K&N intake will only give 6hp, that dont really seem worth it. How about the cat converter?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hi flo cat converter

It is very common just to have the flex pipe replaced. A muffler shop can do this, auto parts shops also sell just the flex pipe.

Not up on high flow cats although have heard other Camry owners talk about them. You stated a high flow will not pass inspection.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM

Yea it wont pass, so I figure if I can get my hands on one I'll patch or as you said fix the flex pipe, then install the hi flo after getting inspected. My father did the same with his van, new MAF, new intake, hi flo cat and performance muffler. (not a fart pipe.) So yea thanks good to know I can just replace the flex pipe.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 AM

Okay, update: we got the thing to pass, after havong 3 more leaks we actually placed a piece of pipe into the rear of the converter to attach to the flange. Im guessing that created some bad back pressure because now there isnt a day that this thing doesnt wanna stall on me. I checked several places, a lot of people said clean the IAC. So I did. I got a considerable power boost but it still stalls. What do you think, is it that pipe?