Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

huge cloud of smoke out the back

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Default huge cloud of smoke out the back

So, I was merging onto I95 and something felt funny. I look in the rear view mirror to see that this car, it was a large pickup truck similar in size to a Silverado, completely enveloped in a puff cloud coming out the back of my 1999 Toyota Camry LE. It did this while I was attempting to accelerate as fast as possible.

I had it taken to a mechanic, before this incident, and I was told (by more than one mechanic, but that's too long a story) that something within my evaporation system was wrong. He got some engine code from that thingy that gives you codes as to what's wrong with the engine. I took to him because the engine light was on, but he just turned it off and told me he can't get the part.

So, I know that the previous owner of this car thought he was slick and used premium/super gas when it's engineered for regular. The whole of the exhaust system was clogged and I had to replace the EKG valve.

I'm wondering if anyone can take a stab on which part needs replacing? I've looked at few parts, like the canister, the purge valve, but am unsure which part it is. There appeared to be black chunks in the puff cloud. Charcoal maybe?

The car runs fine, though.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

There are not many parts that can't be found.

Do you have the code(s), perhaps on the service sheet? Was the check engine light steady on or blinking?

What color was the smoke?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 AM

I think the mechanic just couldn't be bothered to do it. I don't really know why.

I don't have the code, but the engine light was steady.

The smoke was grey with some black "chunks." I don't know if that was actual solid chunks, or just black colored smoke that appeared solid. It didn't stick around for an in-depth examination.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

How is the MPG and oil consumption?

If the light is steady and engine runs fine. You have time to figure out the issue.

It would be challenging for charcoal in the canister to get out the exhaust.

You will need to get the code(s) read otherwise just guessing. Call around to auto parts stores as some will do it for free.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:43 PM

I get about 20mpg according to my GPS.

I've had some oil problems in the past. At one point, for some odd reason there was no oil in the engine and the air pumps blew out. I had that fixed.

But I would have no idea if the engine uses up an abnormal amount of oil or not.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

The car should get around 26 mpg city and hwy.

What is an air pump that blew out?

Old 07-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Is there a good diagram of the EVAP system? I found this one: https://repairpal.com/images/emu/ope...36066_full.png but it's kind of small and not very detailed.

Also, how risky is it to buy a vapor canister off of ebay for 50$? New ones are in the range of >200$ and that just seems overpriced for a box of charcoal.

Watching this:
which explains diagnosing the evap system. I really believe that the huge cloud of smoke was the contents of my vapor canister.

Thanks.

Last edited by hedron; 07-13-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Typically there is a detailed vacuum diagram posted on the underside of the hood.

What makes you think the EVAP system is at fault?

Is the check engine light on?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:58 PM

The guy tested it with the code reader and said the evap system was borked. He said something about something in the front and something about something in the back. And watching a few youtube videos about the evap system, the symptoms are identical.

What else could explain the huge cloud of smoke? It wasn't firewood-like smoke, there was chunks in it. Maybe cloud of charcoal like dust would be a better description.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

The canister has charcoal inside. The canister should have a screen to keep the charcoal out of any lines.

There are 2 hoses running from the canister to the engine.

One hose runs to the engines air intake system BEFORE the throttle body. This is a vent line.

The other line runs to the throttle body and eventually connects AFTER the throttle plate (engine intake side of throttle body). This is the line which carries the fuel vapors stored in the canister to burn in the engine. This line has an on/off valve in it.

Disconnect the lines at the engine and check for signs of foreign matter.

The cloud could have water in it. Hold a paper towel in front of the exhaust to capture some of this smoke and try to determine what this debris is.

How handy are you with tools? If the canister is the problem, its a DIY job to replace.