Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Seek Diagram(s) of 2003 Camry catalytic conv. major parts

Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Default Seek Diagram(s) of 2003 Camry catalytic conv. major parts

Hello,
2003 Toyota Camry XLE 128,000miles

I got the engine light and code P0420 which relates to catalytic converter department (i've been told). I want to look and study what this looks like. I know there are two major parts that make up whole converter. Front Exhaust Manifold, and, Catalytic Converter.
If anyone has good diagrams, and with labels, that's even better.
I've looked all over internet and only come up with parts stores with photos but no labels or exact descriptions.
Links are fine.

Much appreciated!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

What engine 4-cylinder or V6?

The manifold and converter are one part and sold as such.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM

Thanks for your assistance.
Sorry, 4 cyl., automatic, made in America (or at least most parts are).

The two parts are inclusive of the Catalytic system, but they come in two separate parts. Front Exhaust piece, and the CC pipe that goes under car. That's what mechanic explained.
I would like to try replace front piece first and see if that's the fix. It costs less than other part.
Does this sound correct?

Much appreciated.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

The front exhaust "piece" bolts to a pipe the runs under the car having the other converter.

As you state best to replace the front exhaust first.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 PM

Thank you for the confirmation.

Would there be a more premium grade part available from an aftermarket company? I know there are special metals inside in OEM (although I don't know if that is for both parts or one of them). Important to get solid partx. And don't mind spending a bit, but not the prices from Toyota dealer. And the dealer only offers warranty of 1 year with unlimited miles. ?!

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 PM

** important to get solid partS.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Call the local parts dealer of your choice. I prefer NAPA but that is because I get a discount and I have never been disappointed. Call up your preference and see what their warranty is. I bought a CV shaft from NAPA and it had a lifetime warranty on it. I also just changed the water pump and serp belt with NAPA parts and they are working flawlessly.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Would consider Toyota parts the best available but also most costly which is why more people opt for aftermarket.

Not all converters are the same. As you state they contain precious metals. To keep costs down manufacturers use less metal.

Suggest Bosal although no doubt there are other brands, but don't buy the cheapest available. After market converters don't seem to last as long as Toyota parts.

If replacing part yourself shop internet sites like Rockauto.com. If looking on the internet can find 5% or perhaps even 10% off codes to use.

If having a shop do the work most will want to use their own parts for warranty purposes and to make more profit.

Take note the old converter has salvage value beyond scrap steel. Not current on prices but at one time was around $75 due to the precious metals inside.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:04 PM

Very good info again, and worthy point about value of old part, Joey.
I really appreciate it.

Massachusetts

Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Thank you too to Patonium!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seek Diagram(s) of 2003 Camry catalytic conv. major parts