New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1985 camry poor acceleration and popping sound from engine in front of driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Low fluid could cause trans slipping, shift issues. The engine revs up but the car accelerates slowly, shifts strangely.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Low fluid could cause trans slipping, shift issues. The engine revs up but the car accelerates slowly, shifts strangely.

Yes, I see your point. I also should say that I noticed that the puddle of transmission fluid is directly under the car and not anywhere else, meaning that it is not behind the car (on the driveway when I backed up to drive the car 5 times in the last 10 days) or on the sidewalk behind the car or in the street. I guess that the transmission is leaking ONLY when I turn the car off, not when I run it, but it certainly must have been very low when I was driving it, as I could not even read the level on the dipstick, which could account for some slipping, hesitating, and poor performance, as you said.

THANKS. WHEN I get the car repaired, I will return to tell you what the diagnosis was.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Do post back with whatever was found wrong.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:30 PM

1. the transmission pan and gasket, not the seals, were leaking: I do not know which would have been better, a seal leak or pan/gasket leak, but mine is the latter. THE pan/gasket are in the process of being repaired.

2. the fuel injectors were badly clogged, but they have been cleaned. The car, which my mom bought new in 1985, never had any work done on the fuel injectors and my mom never added any fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank. Some people say that the cans of liquid fuel injector cleaner work and some say that they do not, but that is neither here nor there; my mom never used them. The point is that the fuel injectors were pretty dirty after 123,500 miles, as you can imagine.

3. the car needs to pass a smog check. The mechanic told me that when he finishes the transmission repair, I should go immediately to a smog station for a test. IF I fail, then I should return to him and he can make the necessary repairs, although he is quite confident that I can pass the first time, as the engine is humming pretty well.

THANKS to all of you

Old 08-09-2021, 04:32 PM

I forgot to add that the bumpy ride that I was experiencing upon acceleration and which I thought came from in front of me near the driver's side tire was a badly worn out strut. The other strut is not much better. I will have both struts replaced after the smog test.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with the problems and fixes!

Old 08-11-2021, 05:14 PM

you are welcome. I am having the shocks replaced and the front end aligned, too. The car passed the smog check yesterday--the mechanic took it to his friend's smog test station--so I am on top of the world. WHEN I pick up the car in a few days, the car will be good as new.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Great. Thanks for posting back with the progress.