New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1997 4cyl auto transmission noise in rev.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Default 1997 4cyl auto transmission noise in rev.

Just bought a used 1997 Camry for my daughter. First Toyota I have owned. Did not notice the oil leak under the timing belt cover. So after replacing the belts and cam, crank, oil pump, water pump(new) and pan seals it is running good with no leaks EXCEPT for now the main bearing is now leaking. With only 149,000 miles, all the seals on this engine are apparently junk. The problem I do not know how to fix is the loud rattle sound (Like a fan hitting a shroud) that comes from the engine compartment from maybe the transmission when the shifting into reverse and giving it some gas. The sound will vary with engine speed. Will not do it at idle in reverse. I have blocked the mounts so the engine does not move.. same result. I have checked the lever on transmission...looks ok. I noticed this when I bought the car but thought it was just a heat shield rattling. Not the case. I have seen this problem discribed several time on the internet with no real solution. Anyone seen this? Stephen

Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM

I have seen this problem discribed several time on the internet with no real solution.
me too...I've seen similar problems no clear answer, good think I haven't been in that situation.