New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2000 Camry 2.2 Multiple misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Lightbulb 2000 Camry 2.2 Multiple misfire

Diesel Mechanic here working on a Camry. 246,000 miles and very mistreated by previous owner but has had very few problems. Car first started dying when put into gear. With some throttle and starting in neutral I could get it to drive and after a while it would run fine. I replaced the coils and fixed a loose harness wire on one of the coil packs. It is no longer throwing any codes, but I can watch the misfires on my scanner. All 4. The cam and crank sensors ohmed good. Spark plugs were loose. I just changed them about two months ago when I changed the water pump and timing belt. Timing is still good. It had an old EGR code that I cant duplicate, but I'm going to take it apart and clean it anyway. This car sat for 2 years before I got it and ran like a top after replacing timing belt. (it sat because the water pump went out.) Also, I had just replaced the battery a week before it started misfiring. all cables, connections, grounds have been checked and cleaned. What am I missing? Going to check injectors and fuel pressure, however no fuel codes have shown up. I'm going to figure out this gas stuff yet! Thanks for the help!

Old 11-01-2016, 03:58 PM

got fuel and spark

no codes

leaves compression to test

Old 11-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel pressure system is not monitored by computer accept for a lean or rich mixture codes.

Misfire on all cylinders?

You changed out or cleaned up the gas?

If the car can be brought up to speed, does it have full power?

How about ign cables?

Old 11-02-2016, 02:28 PM

Yes it is missing on all 4 cylinders. However, I did put a set of plug wires on it and went from missing up to 40 times per cycle down to five or six. I cleaned the EGR pretty good and it is moving completely open with about 5lbs of vacuum. it wasn't nearly as nasty as I expected. I cleaned the intake and blew out all the vacuum lines. It will start cold but cannot idle but about 30 seconds. I have to keep the throttle above 1000 rpm. Now it is also cutting out above 1500 rpms. Its losing more power the more I run it, and it jerks pretty hard like maybe the injectors or the coils are shutting off for a second. That's what made me think coils the first time. I haven't manually tested fuel pump yet. I threw some lucas deep clean in the tank but I haven't added any gas. sitting about 1/4 tank. possible its clogged up but i'll have to see. Could it be the IAC? I've read that this motor is common for a faulty coolant temp sensor causing idle problems, but its working fine and ohms fine. I'm considering checking the timing again after I check the fuel pressure and injectors.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

The IAC can cause problems. Check resistance.

Should be approx 2.5 ohm at 70F, 0.4 at 180F, 0.2 at 212F.

If the engine never ran right would check the fuel, pump tank sock and tank. Ethanol degrades quickly and absorbs water which can rust tanks.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:55 PM

I think I figured it out. I don't know how I missed it before, but the crank gear is bad. The key beat a new hole about 1/16th of an inch. Explains why my timing looked correct but acts a tooth off. I'm going to order a new one and get it installed and i'll let you know how it works. Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Camry 2.2 Multiple misfire-2000-camry-2.2-crankshaft-gear.jpg   2000 Camry 2.2 Multiple misfire-2000-camry-2.2-crankshaft-gear-key.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 06:45 PM
J P

so what went with that??? i jus came across th same scenerio: 99 camry 2.2 - timing belt n water pump last summer (belt broke but pump was leakin so it all needed to b done anyhow), coil packs left us broke down, replaced 1 thn th other jus recently, but it wasnt th 2nd pack, i thought th water pump was about to explode in pieces- in my stethoscopes it sounded like a rolling cage of broken metal pieces- i swore th water pump was shot although no overheating probs or anything. i order another timing belt n pump kit n NOWWWW i come across tht lil crank gear like u jus pointed out here... final conclusion was thts GOTTA b my culprit... im about to order a gear- did u have to order a new key? how do i get oem factory size on th key tht belongs in there? i havent been able to find a part # yet... its my wifes daily car n shes driving my camaro until its fixed... help a bro out man lmao!!!