New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2000 toyota avalon vs. 1994 lexus ls400

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Default 2000 toyota avalon vs. 1994 lexus ls400

i have a Lexus LS400 and a guy offered to trade straight across for a AVALON.......both cars have 200000 miles.....both run well......is this a good deal???

Old 02-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

What are you trying to accomplish in this trade?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

I really like the LS400's, O would probably keep it because a car with that many miles, you don't know much about it's past.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 AM

i like my LS400, it is my first "toyota"......however, i just dont wanna pass up a better deal if the Avalon is superior mechanically.....but from what i'm hearing in the lexus forums is that the Avalon has a inferior engine......plus i just replaced the cam & crank seals, timing belt, water pump, thermostat with genuine toyota/lexus parts....

Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

The Lexus is a luxury car. When Lexus was introduced Toyota required dealers to be separate as in not a Toyota dealer who sold Lexus. The list price in 1994 was around $50K. It has a V8 engine and rear wheel drive. The engine was voted to Wards top 10 engines for years 1998-2000.

The Avalon is based on a modified Camry chassis (made full size) having the same front wheel drive train as Camry that came with a V6 option. MSRP was around $30K in 2000. The V6 engine model was voted to Wards top 10 list of engines for year 1996.

Owners of both Avalon and LS400 of these years appear satisfied at around 4.5 out of 5 stars.

If looking for the car worth more money then do research. One issue is both cars have high mileage which lowers price, another is condition of car. Input both cars specific info at Edmonds.com, you may be surprised how little the cars are worth.

The more complicated the car is in terms of options (meaning luxury) the more that can go wrong and sometimes older luxury cars start to nickle and dime an owner.

Would state the Avalon is the simpler car as it is more basic in design. Consider an Avalon a Camry with V6 option and a few more extras.

The LS400 and Avalon are two different cars. Luxury versus an upscale Camry. Both cars were built well and solid. Would not have a problem with either engine. You imply you do your own repairs, if so then an aging LS400 should be no problem to maintain versus paying shop rates (as with any aging car although the Avalon is a less complex car).

If looking for lower cost parts try RockAuto Parts Catalog. Toyota parts are top quality but for some items they can be extremely expensive.

In my opinion, there is not a great deal here in trading the LS400 for the Avalon even if a later year. You know the condition of your car and don't with the other. Avalon like many cars goes through a period where things start to wear out, then once repaired it is good to go again for many years. Do you know the true condition of the Avalon and what has been repaired or not?

Value wise the Avalon may be worth more but if needing repairs and when including sales tax often mandatory at time of license the deal differences may be a wash.

Also a consider 94 Lexus is exempt from ODBII emissions testing as it does not have ODBII and typically the test only is to check tail pipe emissions. For you this means the car doesn't need to be on top marks to pass as the criteria for passing this test is lower then OBDII.

Check on airbags if important to you. One car may have side air bags.

Plus rust, if one car is rusting out and the other not, this would make a major difference in choosing cars.

If you like the LS and do your own repairs consider keeping it. I would not consider an Avalon a better deal or superior mechanically. It is a simpler, basic car upscaled in my opinion to glean more profit over Camry. The LS was a purpose built luxury car and priced accordingly.

Last edited by toyomoho; 02-08-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
the lexus is a luxury car. When lexus was introduced toyota required dealers to be separate as in not a toyota dealer who sold lexus. The list price in 1994 was around $50k. It has a v8 engine and rear wheel drive. The engine was voted to wards top 10 engines for years 1998-2000.

The avalon is based on a modified camry chassis (made full size) having the same front wheel drive train as camry that came with a v6 option. Msrp was around $30k in 2000. The v6 engine model was voted to wards top 10 list of engines for year 1996.

Owners of both avalon and ls400 of these years appear satisfied at around 4.5 out of 5 stars.

If looking for the car worth more money then do research. One issue is both cars have high mileage which lowers price, another is condition of car. Input both cars specific info at edmonds.com, you may be surprised how little the cars are worth.

The more complicated the car is in terms of options (meaning luxury) the more that can go wrong and sometimes older luxury cars start to nickle and dime an owner.

Would state the avalon is the simpler car as it is more basic in design. Consider an avalon a camry with v6 option and a few more extras.

The ls400 and avalon are two different cars. Luxury versus an upscale camry. Both cars were built well and solid. Would not have a problem with either engine. You imply you do your own repairs, if so then an aging ls400 should be no problem to maintain versus paying shop rates (as with any aging car although the avalon is a less complex car).

If looking for lower cost parts try rockauto parts catalog. Toyota parts are top quality but for some items they can be extremely expensive.

In my opinion, there is not a great deal here in trading the ls400 for the avalon even if a later year. You know the condition of your car and don't with the other. Avalon like many cars goes through a period where things start to wear out, then once repaired it is good to go again for many years. Do you know the true condition of the avalon and what has been repaired or not?

Value wise the avalon may be worth more but if needing repairs and when including sales tax often mandatory at time of license the deal differences may be a wash.

Also a consider 94 lexus is exempt from odbii emissions testing as it does not have odbii and typically the test only is to check tail pipe emissions. For you this means the car doesn't need to be on top marks to pass as the criteria for passing this test is lower then obdii.

Check on airbags if important to you. One car may have side air bags.

Plus rust, if one car is rusting out and the other not, this would make a major difference in choosing cars.

If you like the ls and do your own repairs consider keeping it. I would not consider an avalon a better deal or superior mechanically. It is a simpler, basic car upscaled in my opinion to glean more profit over camry. The ls was a purpose built luxury car and priced accordingly.
thank you for the input.....i'm keeping the ls!