New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2002 Camry alarm or starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Default 2002 Camry alarm or starter problem

Hi I am new to the forum. From san bernardino, CA. Yesterday, had a weak battery situation. Very slow crank and then enough starter speed to start car. Ran battery charger for 2 hrs. same condition. Took vehicle to Autozone for battery guarantee. Unlocked hood, locked car, went inside to see how Autozone would handle the guarantee. They said free replacement, so I headed back out to car but was hearing a car alarm going off. It was my car so I must have tripped the panic button on the remote. A little confused I shut off the alarm by pressing unlock on the remote and immediately proceeded to disconnect old battery. Came back out with new battery, installed it and NO power to starter motor. All accessories & lights work fine, ignition relay clicks, checked all fuses, checked new battery, all okay? It seems too improbable that the starter solenoid or neutral safety switch failed. Is it something related to the alarm system, like an immobilization default since the battery was removed right after the alarm sounded? Any ideas? Thank you. Dan

Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 PM

welcome a board buddy!looking forward to here from you sometime and learn from you too.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Your stating the engine does not turn over?

The Toyota immobilizer allows the engine to turn over but not start. Cannot comment if you have an aftermarket (non Toyota alarm).

If you need to start the engine, apply 12V to the small electrical terminal on the starter solenoid to engage the starter. If you have a voltmeter, check for 12V at this terminal when the key is turned to start.

Check you battery cable connections. Power to the starter solenoid comes directly from the battery.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 AM

It is a factory equipped alarm. Not certain the alarm is the culprit but like I said, the engine was starting when I pulled in to Autozone. I'm getting 12 volts to the heavy cable on the starter. Tonight after work I will see if I can short the two lugs on the starter to manually crank it. I'm thinking that as a last resort if I can start it this way at least I can drive in to a qualified repair shop and not have to use AAA again to have it towed.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Although the car started before you pulled in, the battery was replaced. Now the engine will not crank over.

The security system would disable the ign system, not starter.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks, Joey, that's good information to know. So my problem must be elsewhere. Do you see any danger in trying to jump start it across the two starter motor terminals?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

If between the large battery cable terminal on the solenoid and large starter motor terminal, no except for sparking. A lot current will flow.

Try connecting 12V to the small terminal on the solenoid (has a SMALL diameter wire running to it). Might be black/red. This should engage the stater solenoid and connect the battery to the motor.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:25 PM

I am having some simular issues with my 2002 camry xle v6...never have had single problem from this car...98000 miles...past week or so the starting on the cold mornings has been a little slugish...like a weak battery...battery has 12.5 volts...

well, the day before, wife says it wont start at all...dash light,windows,radio,etc all work perfect...just nothing happening under the hood..no starter clicking..I think all I hear is the fuel pump kicking on...

so the next day I went out and it started....slow, but it started...kinda like the previous week of sluggish starting...I went inside to let it run a while to maybe charge up battery...it was running for about 10 minutes...went back in for another 10 minutes, then went back out and car was not running...key was on, headlights on, but motor was not running..had to of died while I was inside???? car has never died before???really strange....

took newer battery back to autoparts store..checked out good...put battery back in and still the same..checked alarm...did key in door reset..did ignition key 3peat reset...still nothing..any ideas??? starter?? but why would the car just die after idling for 20 minutes??? thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

If activated the alarm still allows the engine to turn over normally, it just will not start.

It takes a lot current to turn the starter, the lights may still work and the starter not. When the ign key was turned to start and nothing happened, did the dash lights dim?

How old is the battery, they typically start to fail between 5-7 years.

A battery may have good voltage but not enough capacity left due to aging.

What was the engine idle speed when you were charging the battery? The alternator needs to have an engine RPM at 1500-2000 to produce max power. If the alternator can't furnish the electrical load at lower RPM's the battery picks up the difference.

If you have the voltmeter, check voltage when the engine is running. Should be somewhere around 13.2-14.8V at 2000 RPM. This is just a gross indication of alternator output.

After getting home and the battery is fully charged, turn off engine, wait 15 minutes and check battery voltage (make sure all electrical items are off). The next day check it again before staring.

Typically issues which staring are bad battery cable to battery connections, the cable connection with the wire, bad ground to chassis on ground cable, cable between chassis and engine.

If the starter, starter solenoid, etc were bad it might show up as clicking when the ign key is turned to start or a slower crank speed. Once the engine is started, the starter circuit is completely off.

If you have another battery that fits the car, try swapping.

It is possible the alternator has a blown diode, this would reduce the output currant. Yet, the alt light would still be off.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 PM

update: new starter fixed the staring issue...still confused on why it died while idling?

Quick Reply: 2002 Camry alarm or starter problem