New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2014 camry LE woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 11:00 AM
Default 2014 camry LE woes

Hey all,

Just to preface this I am a new driver, and new to working on cars in general. So I recently picked up a fairly used 14 hybrid camry and it was fine driving around on roads/highways for the first couple days. Then my check engine light came on. I went to autozone to use thier scanner and came up with "P0117 TOYOTA - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input". After I returned the scanner and got back in my car the check engine light was gone so I packed up and was on my way but I filled my coolant with reservoir with the green type before I left because I decided to checked and the thing was empty. Fast forward a day and Im about to get on the road but check my coolant reservoir. The thing is empty which is insane because I filled it to max the day before. I looked around the radiator for signs of leakage but didnt see anything. Took it to a mechanic and also explained the error code issue and he thought it was due to leakage as well but he didnt see anything after putting my car on the lifts. The engine light was still off so I left, the mechanic told me to come back if the light appears or the car starts to overheat

Not more then 30 minutes into my drive back home, im on the highway going 45-50mph and the check engine pops back on and my engine thermostat is all the way on H and blinking. I pull over check the reservoir. Still full. Now im confused. So I continue on home but reduce my speed to 35-40 and try to avoid accelerating too much. All the while my the engine thermostat is generally staying on H and blinking but sometimes it will go to the center once I hit traffic but it also sometimes went all the way to C while i was going 40ish and accelerating gradually. All the way at C is strange to me so I feel like a sensor is damaged maybe. I looked up what P0117 is and it is related to sensors but that doesnt explain the reservoir constantly being empty after only 24-30 hours. Any ideas? Please and thank you.

PS: I also bought a Mass airflow filter from auto zone as the report assumed that would most likely fix the problem but I have not installed it yet.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Need to know if the coolant system is losing coolant as P0117 is bad coolant temp sensor or wiring.

Is the coolant reservoir constantly empty after 24-30 hours? There are dyes that can be added to the coolant which will fluoresce under black light to aid in finding leaks.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:36 PM

Yes system was losing coolant after about a day. But I did add a new coolant sensor earlier today which seemed to solve the check engine light problem. But now have to figure out why car starts to over-heat after accelerating beyond 50mph. Got an error code I cant remember but I recall something along the lines of water pump malfunction. One of tubes going into the radiator is hot (right after turning off engine) while one of the tubes going into the water pump has no heat coming off it just feels "cold". Mechanic I know wants to start with changing the thermostat for now and then see if pump needs to be swapped out.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Are you stating you topped off the coolant system and the engine overheats beyond 50 mph?

If the temp went into the red too many times the engine may have blown a head gasket. The mechanic can do a "block test" to check of exhaust gases in the coolant. Its a simple test to do.