New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

88 camry power loss issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 AM
Default 88 camry power loss issues

I have a 1988 toyota camry. I bought it about a year ago, it had been sitting for a year. So ever since I've been have electircal problems left and right. Now I have one that I can't figure out.
Over time it's gotten slowly worse and worse. My 'battery', 'lights' and 'parking brake' lights come on and I feel a loss of power. It's not huge, it kinda feels like the brakes are being applied. When the engine is cold it doesn't do it but after it warms up it will, when my rpms are at 1k and up..
I don't understand. Has anyone else heard of this?
Btw, its the 2.0 liter, 5 spd.

Jake

Old 10-01-2011, 02:28 AM

And on top of this a new problem has arisen. Now when I go 35mph and above there is a "thud-thud-thud-thud" noise that is constant. The thuds are fasted paced and right after each other.. Any ideas? Right now I don't want to take it to a mechanic and I wanna try as many things as possible..

Jake

Old 10-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Does the thud-thud increase and decrease in frequency with the MPH?
Front or back of car?
Any change in noise if you make turns?
Have you checked the tires?

For the electrical issues:

Are these the tail light out and charge lights?

The brake light is activated if the brake fluid is low or the E-brake is on. Check the brake fluid flow switch installed in the reservoir cover.

Any chance of mice working on the wiring?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 AM

It may, I'm not quite sure, I'll test to see.
Front of car.
Sometimes yes there is noises when I turn, but I already know that noise is my cv joints are bad (the boot is ripped all the way around on both).
My tires are okay, but nothing serious.

I told a worker at an auto parts store about that problem and he said it couldn't be tires or cv, he said it was most likely electrical, is he wrong?

I believe so, the tail lights, because it shows it on the back of the car on the picture. But it's those, charge light and the parking brake light all at the same time.. Could it be two problems? I was thinking it may be my alternator, and I've been meaning to have it checked. And another thing happens every so often, my car will sit for at least 10 hours and when I go to it to start it the battery will be dead (but of course it'll start when I either jumpstart it or pushstart it).

About my brake fluid, it's a little bit above the low level (and actually I've also been meaning to fill it up a lil bit to see if that would change anything).

And I'm pretty sure all my wiring is good (mice), at least there's no noticeable rips or cuts. Everything looks good in that regard.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 AM

The battery being dead thing is been happening more now actually.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:25 AM

I figured out my dash lights, and power loss problem. My alternator was giving too much voltage to the battery and freaked everything out. Also another thing that I forgot to say about it was that when the dash lights and power loss problem arose my headlights (when on) would brighten up a ton..
Replaced my alternator, no more problem.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 AM

Ouch. too much voltage by that much cant be good. youre lucky toyota build a quality car because most others would have ****ed up ecu and more.