New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

95 toyota camry

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Talking 95 toyota camry

Daughters Camry wouldn't start every time, gradually it got worse. It wouldn't crank only clicking, replaced battery with new and starter/solenoid with new still wont crank any other people experience this problem please help.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Check your grounds, sounds like the starter is not getting all the power it needs. Check for loose connections as well. Inspect your battery cables too.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 AM

Patonium, all connections are tight along with new starter and new battery, still nothing,
any other ideas out there.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:14 PM

I had a similar problem years ago. It turned out the main cable off the positive battery terminal that lead to the starter was corroded and almost broken off at one of the terminals (I don't remember which end). I replaced the cable with a 6-gauge stranded copper wire from a local hardware store and crimped on two new terminals to connect at both ends. That did the trick.

Also, "Tight" doesn't always mean you have "Contact". You can have two rusted pieces together and they will never conduct any voltage. Inspect each and every connection and make sure there is pure metal-on-metal contact. If not, scuff areas with wire brush or scrape with sharp tool. Coat each clean metal point with grease to ensure proper conductivity and to protect from future corrosion. If there is any corrosion at a battery terminal, as is very common with the Toyota battery connections as they do not use the old-fashioned lead connectors, brush it with a baking soda and water paste and let soak for about 30mins and wash off with water. Then coat all exposed metal with grease and try to start again.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Krivraq, I second your recommendations. The way the car would start sometimes and not others leads me to think bad/loose/corroded connection(s).

Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Got it fixed, bad starter had blown 40 amp fuse in the engine compartment which also cured the headlights that were out.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Glad to hear. Keep an eye on those connections anyway. Voltage surge fluctuations from intermittent conductivity (corroded/loose connections) may have prematurely burned up your starter and the blown fuse just may have been additional casualty. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Nice to hear it is fixed! Thanks for the update.