New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

AC problem after getting a jump

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Default AC problem after getting a jump

I have a 2016 Camry. The other day I needed a jump from someone. We at first did not do it correctly. We may have attached the cable in reverse. In any case, the car would not start.

I then called AAA. They came and checked the alternator. It seemed fine. They checked the battery. It seemed weak. Thy gave me a new battery. The car was then able to start. But I could not accelerate. However, when I put it in drive it moved by itself at a slow speed. I was therefore able to get it to a mechanic. He checked the fuses and changed one. I was then able to to accelerate.

I thought my problem was finally over. However, a few days later I tried to turn on the air conditioning. The light came on but there was no AC. And I did not hear the blower at all. I tried the heater. Same problem, it too did not work. Before I got my jump the AC and heater were working fine.

Since I taught myself about the fuses after my visit to the mechanic, I checked all the AC-related fuses in both fuse boxes. All of them are good. The only one I did not check is the fuse link in the fuse box that's under the hood. It does not look like a regular fuse. It looks more like the edge of a CD cover. And you cannot just pop it out and check, like the regular fuses. It's more involved because it's bolted in, I'm told.

Has anyone ever had an AC problem as a result of the fuse link? Has anyone ever had the fuse link blow? Just curious. Would like to know before I take the car to get checked.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

The blower motor doesn't work?

Old 07-26-2020, 05:38 PM

I hear nothing at all and no AC or heat comes out all. As a result, I presume the blower is not working or turning on.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:41 AM

I'm new here. Is my thread more appropriate in the ECU and Electronics forum? Just curious.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:08 AM

Here's a photo of the fuse box under the hood (there's a second fuse box inside the car). There are 2 things that look like CD covers at the front left of the fuse box. The fuse link is the shorter one or the one on the left. In the photo it is right above an orange 5 amp fuse.

Last edited by CamryNerd; 07-27-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:09 AM

Here's a photo of my fuse box. There are 2 things that look like CD covers at the front left of the fuse box. The fuse link is the shorter one or the one on the left. In the photo it is right above an orange 5 amp fuse. The fuse link is the only fuse I've not checked.

Last edited by CamryNerd; 07-27-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:00 PM

Today I took my 2016 Camry to a mechanic who is very experienced. After checking the fuses in both boxes and the AC motor's diagram, he said it's best to take the car to a Toyota dealership. He said that he's stopped doing electrical work because it often turns out to be very time consuming. And he ends up not charging customers for the full amount of time because the bills would be too high.

I had taken my car to a second Toyota dealership on Saturday, just to see if I could get a better idea of what it might cost. They said if they have to put in a new fuse link, the labor cost alone would probably be around $437.00. They charge $125.00 per hour. But they would of course know for sure once they actually get to work on the car. The other Toyota dealership, that I had checked earlier, said they would charge $130 if it was a simple fuse. But it would be more if it was a bolted fuse (like a fuse link). The two dealership will probably end up charging the same amount. But the one I visited on Saturday claimed that it would not exceed $500.00.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:25 PM

I dropped off my car at a Toyota dealership on Tuesday. But they did not get to the car till today.

They say that when I got a jump and did not do it properly I blew the fuse link and AC blower.

So they installed a new blower and fuse link. But when they started the car the new fuse link got blown. They think that when I got a bad jump the throttle body was damaged so it sent a high voltage through.

So they have to replace the throttle body and fuse link again.

I cannot get my car today because they don't have a new fuse link in the dealership. But they can have one by tomorrow morning. They say I should be able to get my car back tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.

The higher amp fuses are bolted to the fuse box board from behind which requires more effort to replace. Blowing fuses is a common result of reversed battery jumper cables. The throttle is electric motor powered which suppose could burn out on a reverse jump. It could be worse ($$$$) as the cars compute could have been blown.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:12 PM

I will be extremely careful the next time I need a jump. I've only owned two cars in my life. My last car was a Jetta (1990). I kept it for too long. So I'm now dealing with a car that has way more electrical features. It's been a big learning experience.

Last edited by CamryNerd; 07-31-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: AC problem after getting a jump