New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Greetings = new member & new camry owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Default Greetings = new member & new camry owner

Just found your site - I hope it will be helpful and enjoyable. I have recently obtained a 93 4 cyl. Camry LE - not running. 193K and initial diagnosis was that the timing belt slipped due to oil leaks. The potential was confirmed by Toyota mechanic as there are apparenlty O rings that go bad... I hope to have it taken to this guy to fix on the side to get it back on the road and keep it for a second car. I got the car from a friend whose daughter had been driving it for a couple years and I don't think she was real big on regular maintenance. Prior to her having it - it was a relative in TN who I believe did most things right - so I'm hoping it still has lots of life left. Body is real solid - couple of small dents that hopefully can be fixed to some degree. Interior needs cleaned real bad, but no rips. Lots of nice options including a moonroof. I enjoy reading success storys on high mileage Camry's. My car is a Grand Marquis with 260K on its way to 400K I hope - so I'm not afraid of mileage if it has been taken care of. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Greetings = new member & new camry owner

Welcome to the Camry Forums. I have a 1992 Camry with 215,000 on the 2.2L 4cylinder. Average 30-32 mpg. It was cheap second car. My lifted Dodge Ram only gets about 12 mpg, and with a 50 mile commute every day... I had to have a vehicle that got better mileage. Hope that you get your Camry going and have many more miles with it.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

welcome.....hope you get your camry fixed up and running, good luck with that.
i too have a fair commute, and my 4cyl camry is helping me save some money in my pocket. (although gas prices are a PAIN nowadays) [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 03-01-2006, 12:58 AM

UPDATE - finally got my Camry trailered to the mechanic's house and the next morning he spent probably 4 hours and it was done. Toyota parts at a discount - and Toyota Mechanic working at home = $650+ for less than $350. Timing belt, water pump, O-rings, trans gasket & fluid change, coolant flush, new hood struts installed (from e-bay). I'm going to start with some oil changes with some treatments and some brake maint. Engine runs real strong - the mechanic was impressed and confident. He believes the timing belt was original (almost 194K). I apparently have some type of exhaust leak as I hear something somewhere - not too loud, just a little buzzing on acceleration. There is also some "bumping" in the rear end at highway speed - and also over bumps. Maybe strut related - I'll search the forums and see what it might be. I don't think the mechanic took it out of his neighborhood so he must not have heard it. Disapointing somewhat is that I get some air noise from the moon roof. I don't feel anything, but I can hear it. After all the mechanic stuff is done we'll get to deep cleaning / steam cleaning the interior and then maybe a rear bumper (trailer ramp abrasion) & hood repaint (deep scratches and a couple chips) and some external detailing. I'm anxious to get the suspension stuff resolved and see what type of gas mileage I can get.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Very glad you got your car fixed, by a Toyota certified mechanic.

hope you get your detailed work on your car finished, good luck to ya!
and btw speaking of the timing belt... ive got to get mines replaced soon b/c a friend of mines who happens to be a mechanic at toyota, told me those are what tends to need replacing at the milage that my car is at. So ive got to let him check it out for me, dont want nothin happening to my camry [8D]

Old 03-01-2006, 06:30 PM

boogz -

Timing belt = at least on my 93 4 cyl. the mechanic told me that mine should have been replaced twice by now - I don't know what the suggested mileage is (I have 193K, so whether he meant that it should be every 100K or if I was actually due for the third one - so call it 65K???) Anyway - he said that there is a back bolt (I think) that is hard to get to and it needs a special / modified socket to get at it... I assume your mechanic is aware and has this tool also.

I guess the good news for me since the belt went - is that this engine is not a "valve bendable" motor.

Best Wishes to you and yours (Camry).

Old 03-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, i bought my car at around 65,000 miles.....
the guy i kno told me thats about the time the timing belt will get worn, so it would b a good idea to get it replaced b 4 any major damage should occur. Other than that he said get its regular scheduled oil changes and what not, and my Camry shuold last me. [sm=gears.gif]