New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Hellerrrr! From Gulf Breeze, FL

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Default Hellerrrr! From Gulf Breeze, FL

I spent about a year scouring craigslist for a car for my daughter. Our patience paid off. Found a really nice 1997 Camry I4 auto for $2900. My daughter is thrilled with it. Body is not perfect, but the paint is great for such an old car. Interior is very clean, and the plastic is still in good shape. Everything on the car works.

Here's the good part. The prior owner had documented evidence of about $2700 worth of recent repairs, including the timing belt and water pump installed in January of this year. Also, four new tires.

It does have 181,000 miles on it, but the engine runs smoothly, no smoking at all. Air blows ice cold. Ride is as quite and comfortable as my 2000 Tundra.

I think we dun good!

I've got a couple things to address, though. A P0420 code, which is probably the cat, and a bushing or something on the left front suspension, transmission needs a flush.

Now, if I can just get her to clean her damned room!
Nate

Last edited by natemoore; 06-14-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on your Camry, the 97 was a great year! Should make a fine car for daughter.

P0420 is typically the cat but could also be an O2 sensor.

If doing a trans flush suggest not using any cleaning chemicals as some places do, just replace all the old fluid with new. Make sure the fluid in the differential is also changed as it has its own fluid chamber.

When changing fluids change the power steering fluid also. To do this the easy way, draw out the fluid from the PS reservoir and replace with new. Do this between drives until the fluid is clean again. Uses same fluid as trans and diff.

Enjoy your car.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Congrats on your Camry, the 97 was a great year! Should make a fine car for daughter.

P0420 is typically the cat but could also be an O2 sensor.

If doing a trans flush suggest not using any cleaning chemicals as some places do, just replace all the old fluid with new. Make sure the fluid in the differential is also changed as it has its own fluid chamber.

When changing fluids change the power steering fluid also. To do this the easy way, draw out the fluid from the PS reservoir and replace with new. Do this between drives until the fluid is clean again. Uses same fluid as trans and diff.

Enjoy your car.
Thanks for the advice.