New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello from sunny Palatine

  #1  
Old 10-20-2017, 03:35 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default Steering/handling issue

I have a 2000 Camry LE and I've noticed that the steering is getting a little wonky. If I take a corner at a reasonable speed it turns fine, bit if I go above that it rolls from side to side and is hard to control. No wierd noises and it steers fine when going straight.
 

Last edited by Markpana; 10-20-2017 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Clarification
  #2  
Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PTW
Posts: 11,547
Default

How is the steering wheel play. Is the steering solid?

In curves at higher speeds does the body sway from one side to another?

Do a net search on "checking struts" for videos, post, then perform the tests. Basically this is moving the cars chassis up and down to check the strut/spring action.
 
  #3  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by toyomoho View Post
How is the steering wheel play. Is the steering solid?

In curves at higher speeds does the body sway from one side to another?

Do a net search on "checking struts" for videos, post, then perform the tests. Basically this is moving the cars chassis up and down to check the strut/spring action.
Steering is tight, car is good on curves (one curve anyway, posted speed limit was 35 mph.) I'm reluctant to check out the struts, though I can tell you the fronts were replaced in 2015 and the previous owner changed the backs in either 2014 or 2015. I'm thiking it's the stabilizer bar or sway bar. The fronts were replaced because the driver's side literally blew up on me, apparently the upper mount was rusted. I'm hoping they put on new ones.
 
  #4  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:25 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by Markpana View Post
Steering is tight, car is good on curves (one curve anyway, posted speed limit was 35 mph.) I'm reluctant to check out the struts, though I can tell you the fronts were replaced in 2015 and the previous owner changed the backs in either 2014 or 2015. I'm thiking it's the stabilizer bar or sway bar. The fronts were replaced because the driver's side literally blew up on me, apparently the upper mount was rusted. I'm hoping they put on new ones.
Clarification-I'm hoping they didn't put on used ones.
 
  #5  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by Markpana View Post
Clarification-I'm hoping they didn't put on used ones.
Another clue-last year I took a speed bump that looked harmless enough, and after I flew over it the car bottomed out.
 
  #6  
Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PTW
Posts: 11,547
Default

Get the front suspension moving up and down by pushing on the chassis then releasing. Once moving up/down release it and determine how many up/down cycles it takes to stop.

The stabilizer bar keeps the chassis level (as much as possible) during body sway. You can remove the tires one at a time and inspect the bar/links/bushings for obvious problems. This being something is broken or not connected.

When having the tire off the ground. Check for excess play from bad wheel bearings, worn suspension parts, etc. Grab tire at 3 and 9 o'clock position and move in and out.
 
  #7  
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by toyomoho View Post
Get the front suspension moving up and down by pushing on the chassis then releasing. Once moving up/down release it and determine how many up/down cycles it takes to stop.

The stabilizer bar keeps the chassis level (as much as possible) during body sway. You can remove the tires one at a time and inspect the bar/links/bushings for obvious problems. This being something is broken or not connected.

When having the tire off the ground. Check for excess play from bad wheel bearings, worn suspension parts, etc. Grab tire at 3 and 9 o'clock position and move in and out.
Sounds like I have to take it in. I can do the bounce test, though. My mechanic is on the level so I doubt the struts are defective/worn. Thanks for your time and may Toyota rule the world😃.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Giron
New Member Area
0
05-15-2013 06:11 AM
palontacam
New Member Area
2
03-02-2009 08:05 PM
edmonton99
New Member Area
2
12-06-2006 11:42 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello from sunny Palatine


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.