New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Help solve my sale value for Toyota Corolla Ascent 2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Thumbs up Help solve my sale value for Toyota Corolla Ascent 2000

First time poster here !

I need some expert opinions on the private sale value of the following model
2000 Toyota Corolla Ascent AE112R, 4D Sedan 4SP Automatic - 1.8L. Good clean condition 185,000

My partner has crashed the car and it is a write off but when she found out the value I insured it for she disagreed on the this value stating it should of been higher because her brother states a value of its worth that I disagree on. I believe I insured it at the correct price and I would appreciate some estimates of the member on this forum so I can be fully understood.

I have shown her the valuation guides etc redbook but still "i am wrong !" so maybe if some kind members can assist with some comments that would be good.

I do not want to state the amount I insured the car for to make it fair on my wife. But I may of under insured the car for lesser premiums but only by a few hundred.

Please reply Private Sale Value of Car $
& amount you would insure for comprehensive $

Many many thanks forum

Old 04-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF.

Not sure able to help on value as this site is US based and Ascent is not offered in US.

Assume mileage is km.

A few suggestions:

Inquirer at au.toyotaownersclub.com It's based in Australia. If going this route state any expensive options the car has.

Check offerings and prices at Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay A few 2000 are listed, check both private sale and dealer offerings.

Enter your cars info at Cars for Sale | New & Used Car Sales - Carsguide.com.au to find approx values which appears to give a value range of $3190-3630.

Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au states range $2700-4300.

Edmonds.com appraisal site will list amounts down to the dollar for US Corolla. You can get an idea of how prices vary with condition, options, location, color, etc.

Dealers of course will have higher prices then private sellers perhaps up to $1K. Ebay.au lists some dealer cars with what appears to be very high prices, in my opinion. But dealers to pay these prices to buy a car.

Other issues affecting price are options, condition and location. What you want is a car in your area in the same or another common color (not some odd color), with same options or close it, mileage range, etc that is listed by a private seller.

One can always find a higher or lower priced car somewhere.

Given what you stated and research done assume for your location, speculate your price is correct or within a few hundred. Your wife and her brother may be looking at dealer prices, cars in other locations or better condition. Do you know how the brothers price was determined?

Best bet is to find local cars comparable to yours.

Can understand underestimating value to get a lower premium. Like insurance itself, a risk/benefit decision.