New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi, potential Camry owner, hot climate questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Default Hi, potential Camry owner, hot climate questions

Hi,

I'm considering buying a 2012-2017 Camry in Houston. I take customers out to lunch sometimes and need something that can hold a few people and that can also do 2-8hr road trips comfortably with decent fuel economy. Most Camry's for sale in my area have the SE trim which doesn't include AC vents for the rear seat. I can't find any decent low miles XLE or XSE models at a reasonable price in the color I want. I'm considering getting an SE and adding remote start so I can start and cool the car down ahead of time.

I currently have an 07 4runner and an 07 Porsche Cayman. Previous cars were a Maxima and a WRX. I test drove a number of Lexus cars as well but eliminated all of them for various reasons (very limited headroom, melting dashboard epidemic, high miles, poor fuel economy, etc.).

Does anyone have experience and feedback on Camry rear seat passenger comfort in hot, humid climates (>100F, 80% humidity)? Is a remote starter a reasonable solution to no AC vents in the back?

Thanks!
Jacob

Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

If no rear console vents there are still vents under the drivers and front passenger seating that outlet air to the rear.

The Toyotanation.com website had a discussion on later model rear Camry AC venting for the various Camry models. Might review said posts (use site search function) and if necessary ask opinions of those living in high temp, high humidity areas.

Thought some 2012 had issues of poor evaporator water draining leading to odors. The evaporator system accumulates condensation which in this case make not be draining out of the car properly leading to mildew. Might check this out.

Remote start with AC on will work. If auto climate control the AC may go into recirc for temps above 75F to more rapidly cool the car (if this a problem for you).

Toyota offers plug and play remote starters but make sure it fits your model and year.