New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

how do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Default how do you do?

hi everyone, i just bought a 93 wagon le v6 auto about 3 weeks ago and i think i got a good deal.. i love it a lot, but it's having some issues. i'm not looking to modify the vehicle for motorsport necessarily, but i drive a lot for my job and would like to shed some light on the problems i'm having so i can effectively (and cheaply, hopefully) resolve them. and maybe toughen it up a bit.
i bought this car with 128k on it from a guy who took great care of it--new tires, radiator, timing belt, battery, etc. and it's in generally nice shape; he even wrote the date of replacement on the parts he put in, and it passed my state's inspection which is quite comprehensive. i went for the camry due to the reliability ratings and value for the money, my dad has a 99 4cyl with 115k and has had great luck with his (i do realize they're different cars, however).
so here's the problem. i've racked the miles up to about 132k on it since i bought it (yep, i drive a lot), and the past two days it's been overheating.
initially, i was driving home from work in traffic and it was making a strange whining noise in first and second gear. i noticed the temp went up dramatically and into the red when i was idle at red lights, and the heater blew out cold air.. once i started moving, it dropped again and the heater blew hot. when i got home, the coolant was boiling and spilling out of the overflow valve. took it to the shop, they couldn't figure it out.
then, driving home again a day or so after that, the same thing happens only now the idle makes this throbbing noise/feel upon starting and when i'm at a light or in park, and the whole car shakes. the temp goes up and stays over half on the gauge the whole time, goes into the red at lights and coolant is blowing out of the overflow valve, even after driving for like 20 minutes.

i finally took it to the shop again, where it sits until monday. while i was there, i turned it off to get gas and when i turned it back on it stalled out. eventually got it started but i had to gas it.

are all of these issues somehow related?

soo... water pump? thermostat? any one have any ideas that i may be able to suggest to my mechanic? it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!